2007 P silver enriched Sacagawea dollar

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by SorenCoins, Mar 26, 2015.

1. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

I know it's not pure silver or I don't think it is. The case says its a .999 fine silver enriched 2007 Sacagawea dollar

Attached Files:

paddyman98 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Fancy phrase meaning electroplated.
    Just another way to get more money for a piece of junk.

lucyray, silverbullion and Gilbert like this.
  4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Noooooooooooooo. silver plated just killed the value.

silverbullion likes this.
  5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Yeah, this is just a way for a bottom-feeder to bleed money from an uneducated public. First, they submit entire bags or rolls of the same date/mintmark coins for grading with a minimum grade of 67 or 68. Then, any that do not meet this requirement are plated, effectively hiding the nicks & dings that kept it from grading higher. The premium they charge for these coins more than covers their original expenses and gives them a hefty profit on a coin that is only worth face value.

Chris

silverbullion, Mikey Zee and rickmp like this.
  6. EagleEyez

EagleEyez Hoarding coinage since 1974

Hope she didn't set you back too much. Value is $1.

spirityoda likes this.
  7. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Don't you hate those dudes who plate a coin, adding no value and generally reducing what value the coin had, leaving it worth face value but charging $10-$20+ for it as "..silver plated (or enriched)"...so many examples of this in mail order catalogs.

8. SorenCoins

Dang spent $12.95 on it not knowing what enriched meant but at least I learned from my mistakes and I still believe it's a good piece

Mikey Zee and phankins11 like this.
  9. Del Pinto

Del Pinto Active Member

coinman1234 likes this.
  10. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

S C, It is a nice piece and an attractive coin with eye appeal for a Type Collection...just over priced and we all have done the same thing --or similar--as you did at one time or another....and that's why this type of site can be so helpful..

lucyray likes this.
  11. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

I agree, I hate people who plate coins worth face and sell them for incredible amounts off money. Sometimes they charge more money than the coin would have been made of solid silver!

It costs 2 cents to plate a coin, that two cents is not 2 cents worth of silver but just the cost of the procedure, the amount of silver is not even worth 2 cents.

Plating coins for science experiments and such is fine, plating coins for insane profits is annoying.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  12. EagleEyez

Yep, guilty as charged. Could've been worse Soren. Advise to read all you can before your next purchase. This forum is a great place to learn more. Library probably has some books, too.

coinman1234 likes this.
  13. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

Hey, I paid more than that on microscopic "5 grain" silver bars when I started.

If you like the coin and you only payed $12 what's lost??

lucyray and EagleEyez like this.
  14. SorenCoins

I agree

15. SorenCoins

I know I saw it and I liked it so much

coinman1234 likes this.
  16. SorenCoins

I still think it's a nice piece besides some tarnish

Attached Files:

coinman1234 likes this.
  17. enamel7

enamel7 Junior Member

You really should start asking questions on the forum BEFORE you buy instead of after. It will save you a lot of dough! When your new to the collecting thing most things you see that are different than normal issue with a higher than FV price to it should send up a red flag. Think about it, How do you "infuse" a coin with silver?

coinman1234 likes this.
  18. EagleEyez

In the end, that is the only thing that mattets.

lucyray and Mikey Zee like this.
  19. SteveCaruso

SteveCaruso Counterfeit Collector

"Silver Enriched"? What kind of sideways-speak sorcery is that??

Regardless of their squiffy bit of marketing, these kinds of coins are like wine or tea: If you like it, then it's good. Enjoy it. :)

20. Del Pinto

Del Pinto Active Member

Major Yabut, here.

This is still the BULLION INVESTING forum, no? Here we should discuss PM investing and evaluate investments. Frankly, as mature adults, and without kid-gloves. That's WHEN, and only when, this site is useful to bullion investors.

"Isn't this coin neat!"
    No, not really. It looks quite scratched, in those pics. I'm guessing (following others) this coin has zero numismatic value and therefore an imprudent folly (-$11.95, -92% loss) "as an investment."

Let it be an $11.95 lesson to us all, spread like manure in the collective gardens of our knowledge, then YES, it was certainly worth my two cents.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  21. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Off the meds again?

sgt23 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted