20 Francs Gold Rooster: One of the most beautiful vintage gold coins there is.

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Sallent, Oct 3, 2022.

1. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

20 Francs.jpg

I thought people were exaggerating when they talked about this coin's beauty. Sure, it looka nice, but what's the big deal? Well now that I got my first in I can definitely see what the big deal is and will be ordering a lot more in the future.

Some coins really come alive in person, photos don't so them justice. This is definitely one of those. Extremely beautiful in photos, but in one's hand it's truly magical. I'm in love

Let's see yours!

Andy, fretboard, BurrosCoins and 7 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Had 1 and sold it during hard times. Beautiful design. Probably get 1 again when I have less credit card debt.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  4. Cazador

Cazador Supporter! Supporter

Her are two i picked up last week they seem to be MS . I never seen them before until then and i thought the same thing beautiful coin. upload_2022-10-5_22-4-39.jpeg upload_2022-10-5_22-4-39.jpeg

Andy, fretboard, BurrosCoins and 2 others like this.
  5. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

Fans of this design might also want to pick up Chaplain's larger medal which includes a bit more of the design. It's also beautiful.
    [​IMG]

Andy, fretboard, Cazador and 5 others like this.
  6. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

Are there 1 oz/100 franc coins ?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2022
    fretboard likes this.
  7. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

If you're speaking specifically to this design, no I don't think so. There is a 1/2oz 100F gold proof issued in 2000 that has this face, the Marianne side, but a different back side, so no rooster. And there are many French 100F gold coins that weigh around an ounce, of other designs.

8. GoldFinger1969

I just thought that with Liberty's and Saints being 1 oz of gold that other countries might have had counterparts, like some do today.

It seems they went for smaller denomination gold coins.

9. Andrew619

Andrew619 New Member

Double eagles (i.e. Liberty's and Saints) are not 1oz gold coins. They are 90% gold (i.e. 0.9675 troy oz).

10. GoldFinger1969

They're considered 1 ounce though yes, you are correct: about 3% less gold than 1 ounce.

11. BurrosCoins

BurrosCoins Well-Known Member

I have been bidding on several lots of French gold roosters. Haven’t been lucky enough to win one yet. Maybe soon. They are very interesting coins.

12. GoldFinger1969

Where are they, the main U.S. sites or overseas online auctions ?

What kind of premiums to gold are we talking about ?

13. BurrosCoins

I haven’t followed the overseas auctions. Haven’t taken the time to research enough to feel comfortable buying from overseas yet. However, I am looking on EMK just because they have the Gold woodpeckers that my uncle is wanting. But have held off for now.

I follow U.S. auctions. I am conservative in my bidding so try to stay 2-3% over spot at the most. Can’t get single coins at that but some of the larger lots go at decent prices. I’ve picked up several lots but haven’t got any roosters yet.

14. GoldFinger1969

My understanding is some Roosters are very scarce and sell at HUGE premiums to spot gold.

15. BurrosCoins

16. NorCal

NorCal Well-Known Member

Just picked mine up last weekend. Goes well with my Swiss 20 franc. My lcs had this at 3% over spot. Glad I picked this over the sovereigns. 777DDE88-1DB4-4781-BCB1-16C0AEE4D09F.jpeg 5566153F-EF7F-4708-BC0C-CF0C18DB5CBA.jpeg

Andy and BurrosCoins like this.
  17. GoldFinger1969

20220829_014213.jpg 20220829_020143.jpg Here's mine; I never heard of these beautiful coins until a year ago....now I want to buy a few when I get a few $$$$:

BurrosCoins, Andy and fretboard like this.
  18. GoldFinger1969

It's interesting to see how certain coins sell at huge premiums, modest premiums, and minimal/no premiums to spot gold.

It's all about which level of investor the supply can satiate: the registry players...then the type collectors....then the investor class.

If you can reach the investor class level -- about 30,000 or so in the 2 categories ahead of it in the U.S. for some gold coins -- then you tend to trade with and track gold.

BurrosCoins and Dug13 like this.
  19. Andy

Andy Coin Collector

Sallent, The only things I seem to like about France is the Painters and the coins. Glad to see that you enjoy Roosters as well. I recommend looking at all the gold 20 francs as well. Wish, I still had my gold and ancient coin books. Miss them as much as miss going to museums.

Draft saved Draft deleted