1g Silver bar display/storage

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Jeepfreak81, Mar 1, 2022.

1. Jeepfreak81

Jeepfreak81 Well-Known Member

Hey all - So I picked up a little 1 gram silver bar just for funsies, I'm aware they aren't worth the investment but as a fun little art piece I like them.

So I was thinking of getting a dozen or so various designs that I like. Here's my question, does anyone have an inexpensive way to store and or display them? I did see one display box thing on amazon but it was like $30.

I'm all for home-made and/or simple solutions, just thought I'd see if anyone had any ideas.

Anyone else collect these?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

They make "magnifying display boxes", but typically of a size to hold only one item at a time. I was thinking of something larger that would give a magnified view of a group, maybe arranged in an interesting pattern, but nothing immediately pops up in a search.

Jeepfreak81 likes this.
  4. Blasty

Blasty Gold Member

Personally I would go the simple route of 2X2s in a binder page - typically 20 slots per page for a standard binder, 12 for a smaller one.

For more of a "show off" display, if you know a friend with a 3D printer or laser cutter I bet they could come up with something neat. Perhaps a sheet of plastic with cutouts for the bars (showing both sides) sandwiched between two acrylic sheets. Like a proof set holder. I don't know of any off-the-shelf products for 1g bars at the moment, just throwing that idea out there.

Jeepfreak81 likes this.
  5. Jeepfreak81

I thought of the 2x2's as I have plenty of those and the plastic sheets however I really don't care for the square peg in a round hole look so that'll be plan B I think. I did find some 1oz bar air tites. Some come with a foam piece in them that seems to be thick enough I could put 3 or 4 1 gram bars in it and put the cover on and they should in theory stay in place. Might be worth trying, they aren't terribly expensive and I can use them down the line for larger bars if I chose.

Other than that I'm gonna have to do something home made, I do have some ideas but none that are good storage options as it would leave them in open air.

6. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

@Blasty has the right idea. I have several of the little cuties and that is how I have secured them, in self-stick 2x2's, placed in binder sleeves. Works for me, good luck.

7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I don’t collect them that small but I do collect 1 Oz. copper rounds and rolled or elongated coins. I use 2x2 cardboard flips and put 20 in a sheet and place in a notebook. I think that would work best and be a lower cost.

8. rte

rte Well-Known Member

Something like the older screw together at the corner capitol plastic coin holders.
    I bought a few 1 ounce bars that someone hand made plastic holders for.

MK Barz has something like this for 1 ounce bars, might work with gram bars?
    Resized_Screenshot_20220302-023155_Chrome_1065225387191503.jpeg

9. Jeepfreak81

Hmm - ya it seems the 2x2 method will be the most cost effective. The extra space around the bar and the fact that it's a rectangle in a circle doesn't thrill me. But it does make the most sense on these little guys. They're hard to see anyway so an actual display of them may not be ideal, save that for the larger bars and coins maybe.

10. rte

rte Well-Known Member

If it bugs you that much, summon up your inner creative genius...cut some poster board (colored if you like) draw the circle, draw the bar and cut them out like matting a picture for your 2x2.

Jeepfreak81 likes this.
  11. Jeepfreak81

That's not a bad idea actually, and tbh it wouldn't be all that hard. I might give that a try.

In the meantime I relented and tried out a dime sized 2X2 and it's not terrible. So that'll do for now, the next one I do maybe I'll try to create a sort of mat for it. Good idea!

rte likes this.
  12. rte

rte Well-Known Member

Been awhile but I ran across this one.
    IMG_20230905_181336096.jpg IMG_20230905_181249956_HDR.jpg

13. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Vintage printers letterpress tray. Doubles as an antique and utilitarian as your display case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-jeffB and rte like this.
  14. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

I would say just get a Mylar sheet and custom make you own slots, cheap and
    effective :)

15. rte

rte Well-Known Member

I think mpcusa needs this for all his gold in PCGS slabs.
    IMG_20230905_181249956_HDR.jpg

mpcusa likes this.
  16. mpcusa

I
    I like that :) , and it looks like graded coins
    will fit in there as well, where do I get mine..LOL

17. rte

rte Well-Known Member

Sent you a PM...with a deal.

mpcusa likes this.
  18. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

An alternative. Get a photo frame with glass front that can hold your number. add a piece of colored paper or more expensive acid-free artist paper. Coins will be held by the glass and shouldn't affect the surface. I have made some with coins of a birthyear, coins with animals, etc. Jim

19. mpcusa

Thanks

Draft saved Draft deleted