1998 One Troy Pound Coin

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by PQJ, Dec 13, 2018.

1. PQJ

PQJ New Member

I've had this for a while, but don't know much about it. It has some numbers on the side and is about 3.5" in diameter. Do these have any value? How can I tell if it's just silver plated? Thanks! WIN_20181213_19_12_15_Prolll.jpg WIN_20181213_19_12_38_Prolll.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

They are worth the silver in them. It could be fake, I suppose.

4. PQJ

PQJ New Member

Do you know if they're faked often?

5. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

I've seen quite a few fakes. You can tell by feel. Is it the correct weight of 12 Troy Oz., or the incorrect weight of 16 Avoirdupois Oz.?

6. PQJ

PQJ New Member

@TheFinn It's showing 13 oz. on my scale. A magnet doesn't stick to it, if that matters at all lol.

7. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Does it feel slick? Check around the rim, but not at any reeding. Don't run your finger over the surface. You can do a specific gravity to tell for sure. To do that, weigh the piece dry in grams. Then suspend it in water on the balance using something like a light fishing line. Then, divide the dry weight by the wet weight. It should be about 10.5 if it is .999 fine silver. Around 8 would be brass or copper. 7 would be zinc.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  8. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

As many time as I had heard the term, I never really knew the test method. Thank you for this post.

9. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

What are the numbers on the side?

10. PQJ

PQJ New Member

The numbers are 01859.

I'm actually getting around 9.5. I think it feels a little slick, but I'm not familiar with coins like that.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  11. PQJ

PQJ New Member

@Michael K WIN_20181214_19_21_48_Pro.jpg
    I did some tests I found online. A neodymium magnet slides down slowly when I tilt the coin and ice melts fast when placed on it. Thanks for all of the help, btw.

12. Michael K

I wonder why it doesn't state anywhere on the piece that it is silver.
    You can get it tested.

PQJ likes this.
  13. PQJ

PQJ New Member

I was wondering the same. When I was researching them, I saw a lot that said .999 Silver or something similar but mine just says One Troy Pound lol. Where do you suggest taking it to get it tested?

14. Michael K

You aren't going to hurt the value by scratch testing it. Go to a Buy/Sell Gold Silver shop. Even if it turns out to be real you are under no obligation to sell, you can just think about it and come back.
    My instinct says it is not silver or it would be stamped.

PQJ likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted