1992 U.S. Forest Service Medals

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by yakpoo, Jun 28, 2020.

1. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

No denomination = No love

Do you think this is a "legal tender" issue?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

I bought something (forget what) a couple of months ago and got a $45 sales tax charge (MD). I haven't bought anything since.

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I'm not sure I know what you mean by "legal tender" issue. ~ Chris

5. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

I was under the impression that a coin must have a denomination to be considered "legal tender". There have been other limits to some coinage (e.g. 20¢ pieces were only legal tender up to $5).

6. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Does MD charge sales tax on coins?

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

What about "United States of America", "In God We Trust", "E Pluribus Unum" and "Liberty"? Are any of these required on US legal tender? ~ Chris

8. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Legal tender is simply what is decreed by the government as legal money. In the US, that includes what you mention. Coinage acts declare that the coin will show denomination. However, without a coinage act authorizing the minting and issuance of the legal tender, anything else leaving the mint is not.

So it is really coinage acts of Congress that determines what is legal tender. Foreign coins until 1857 were legal tender by act of Congress.

Having said that, nothing stops anyone from bartering, and that is where Civil War tokens come in. Merchants offered them as change, and if the customer accepted it was effectively a barter transaction. Same could be true of any medal, you can offer it as payment, same as a live chicken, and it can be accepted but does not NEED to be.

yakpoo likes this.
  9. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

I wonder if those coins have edge lettering? Truly a great example or rare coins that aren't worth much! :D

10. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

They didn't used to.

11. Just browsing

Just browsing New Member

Good day gentlemen, This information may be a bit late but I just noticed this thread and thought I'd clue you in as to what your dealing with, just for your edification I would like to let you know what these "coin like items are".

These are not a "coin" these are a "Medallion" this is why you will not find them on any coin site or the like. I have 1 of these and I also have "Certificate of Acknowledgement" quote: This certifies that this Golden Eagle Medallion is officially authorized by the United States Department of Agriculture Forest Service in honor of its 100th anniversary year. For each medallion purchased the Forest Service will plant a tree in one of the National Forest in the United States. Signed. F. Dale Robertson , USDA Forest Service Chief Official Specifications are..
    Edition Limit: 500,000 , Alloy: 24K Gold Layered Bronze , Weight: One Ounce , Diameter: 38.1mm , Designer: Don Everhart II

Hope this helps. again Good day all. :)

ddddd likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted