1992 U.S. Forest Service Medals

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by yakpoo, Jun 28, 2020.

1. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Howdy All,

I've taken a hiatus from eBay since they began charging sales tax on coins, but I still look. I came across a set of proof coins/medals commemorating the U.S. Forest Service Centennial. They are each 1/10th ounce of 14k gold.

My question is this..."Who made these things?"

It seems like a Canadian Mint product or something from the Franklin Mint, but I've looked high and low and can't find any information about these. Does anyone know?

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Can you give us a close-up of both sides of one of the coins (without the airtite)?
    ~ Chris

Mike Davis likes this.
  4. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Obverses:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Reverse:

[​IMG]

5. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Obverses:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Reverse:

[​IMG]

6. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Obverses:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Reverse:

[​IMG]

7. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Well crap! The site is running SLOOOOW tonight. Any idea how I can delete these duplicates?

8. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Hey Chris, I don't own this. I just saw it on eBay and was wondering about it. It seems odd to have a coin/medal with a U.S. Government emblem that isn't minted by the U.S. Mint.

9. ddddd

ddddd Member

I'm guessing it is some private mint item.
    Seems like there really is no info. I found this that you probably also saw.

"1992 U.S. NATIONAL FORESTS SERVICE GOLD COIN - 100 YEARS - TIMBER WOLF 1/10 ounce .1 These commemorative proof coins weigh 3.1 grams (1/10 ounce) and yes they are gold. That's about all I can find. This series of wildlife coins appears to be on the rare side. It is very difficult to google any information on them. "

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1992-s-national-forests-service-gold-1057803088

yakpoo likes this.
  10. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

I wouldn't worry about any dupes, I've looked high and low, can't find diddley! I was just about to post that worthpoint link, I see nada, 900 sets minted, that's the only info. :D

yakpoo likes this.
  11. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Thanks guys. I saw the worthpoint site, also. It's so strange that there would be absolutely no information at all!

I thought U.S. Government Agency emblems were copyrighted. It seems odd to see one on a non-US Mint coin/medal.

I see no mention of them on the U.S. Forest Service site.

ddddd likes this.
  12. ddddd

ddddd Member

Maybe back in 1992 no one noticed or cared enough to enforce it so these got by or maybe there was some partnership with a private mint?

13. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

EBay stopped charging sales tax on coins and bullion in my state (Utah). Does your state charge sales tax? If not, you're probably ok to go back in the water with the shark (eBay).

slackaction1 likes this.
  14. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Maybe if someone tries running the pics though an app, maybe that will show something on who minted them. :phantom:

15. cpm9ball

I do remember that the US Mint produced a Wildlife Series in silver with Teddy Roosevelt (I think) on one side and four different species of wildlife on the other. I do remember that the Bald Eagle and the Salmon were two of the medals but I can't remember what the other two were.

I can only guess that these medals were made by a private mint. ~ Chris

yakpoo likes this.
  16. ddddd

ddddd Member

That was in 2003 and included the bald eagle, elk, salmon, and canvasback duck.
    (National Wildlife Refuge System Centennial Silver Medals)

https://news.coinupdate.com/national-wildlife-refuge-system-centennial-medals-1442/

green18, yakpoo and cpm9ball like this.
  17. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

The strikes seems too mushy to be a U.S. Mint products. Plus, the U.S. mint doesn't use a 14k alloy. Canada has in the past (e.g. 1976 Montreal Olympics gold $10).

I agree it's likely a private mint. If the alloy can be trusted, the medals contain about 0.29 ounces of pure gold...or about $518 (U.S.).

These medallions remind me of The American Arts Gold Medallions series of the early 1980s...but those used the typical 90% gold alloy of earlier U.S. Mint gold products.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    midas1 likes this.
  18. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Chris, not to get too far afield...but my last comment got me thinking about the U.S. Mint's American Arts Gold Medallions series of the early '80s.

Those medallions were bullion coins minted to compete with the South African Krugerrand...so why do you suppose they don't appear in the Gold Bullion section of the Whitman Red Book? I never understood that.

19. cpm9ball

I don't think the Red Book lists any medals or medallions that were made by the US Mint. The Wildlife Series isn't and the Bicentennial Medals aren't, either. ~ Chris

20. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

This seems to be a "grey area". The American Arts Series was intended as bullion coins for investors...like the First Spouse Series which is included in the Red Book's "Gold Bullion" section. The only difference between the two (that I'm aware) is that the First Spouse series had defined denominations...and a different composition.

It is what it is. Still, it would be nice to see the American Arts Series in the Red Book. If the U.S. Mint makes them and TPGs grade and track their price action, I think they should be included in the Red Book...somewhere. They have a section for Hard Times Tokens with no denomination.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  21. cpm9ball

You're comparing apples to oranges. The First Spouse series had a denomination of $10. All of the bullion coins had varying denominations. Medals and medallions do not have a denomination.

You won't find this one in the Red Book, either.
    1978 National Medal Side 1.jpg

~ Chris

Draft saved Draft deleted