1992 1/2 AGE

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Tater, Jan 11, 2022.

1. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

I was going through my stack today and I noticed I had a better date AGE. Looking at APMEX if you bought two 1/2 oz eagles it would cost you an additional $400 over a single 1 oz eagle. I will say I have never looked at this but that seems crazy right now. I had heard that right now fractional gold no matter where minted is in crazy demand right now and I'm not sure as to why its greater than previous years. It has me thinking about selling my 1992's and buying a 2022 1 oz and couple of 1/10 oz eagles, is this bad logic on my part? How many collectors are putting together date sets on AGE, is it better to hold these coins for the future?

capthank likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cinco71

Cinco71 Well-Known Member

Buying the full ounce makes sense to me, but buying even more fractionals with that cash seems to negate the whole idea of avoiding those high premiums. But if you think the math works in your favor, go for it.

4. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

The catch 22 is that 1 OZ GOLD will always save you money over fractional
    in the long run, but I do like 1/10 OZ GOLD as they have some pretty cool
    designs but for investment purpose always choose the larger amount or
    what ever you can afford :)

5. rte

rte Well-Known Member

It has me thinking about selling my 1992's and buying a 2022 1 oz and couple of 1/10 oz eagles, is this bad logic on my part?

If you can pull off selling two 1/2 ounce AGE'S and ending up with a 1 ounce and two 1/10th ounce AGE'S...that's 2 tenths more then you started with.

Tater and fretboard like this.
  6. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

I prefer to buy 1/2 ounce AGE's than a whole one but I think it's just worked out that way for me due to finances. Truth is, the bigger the coin, the less the premium paid! Now I live by the motto, go big or go home! ;)

Tater and slackaction1 like this.
  7. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Does size matter, my wife says ABSOLUTELY NOT! We were discussing gold that is!

fretboard likes this.
  8. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I have compared the cost associated with buying a fractional gold coin than a One Ounce Gold Proof Coin. Most of the time, the sum of the cost of 2 halves is higher than 1 ounce, but somehow in my itty bitty brain, I feel I get more by having 2 gold coins than one gold coin. Another thought that I had, what is the difference in price between a proof 1 ounce gold coin versus an uncirculated 1 ounce gold coin. I'm sure there is no logic in what I do, but if you hold your coins for a while, you might gain a profit. Who knows? I really like the 1/10th Ounce Gold Proof Eagle. The Mint had a gimmick last year when they sold two 1/10th Ounce Gold Proof Eagles in a set. One was a T-1 and the other was a T-2. It was probably a good idea for many of Mint buyers because they sold out in nothing flat. I did buy the Mayflower gold coin set. They are really nice.

9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

To me, if you’ve already got it, why sell it and purchase the same thing, gold, in another form? Keep what you have and buy what you want. Gold is gold in any form.

10. KeyHunter

KeyHunter Supporter! Supporter

My preference is the 1/2 gold AGE series since it has (generally) a much smaller mintages compared to the 1 oz. Some of the 1/2 oz AGE have ridiculously low mintages ~15-20K and are already showing increases in numismatic value beyond the metal EXCEEDING any premiums paid. I'm well on my way to assembling a master date set, purchasing keys first, then filling holes with common dates later. 1/4 oz AGE have a number of similar keys in the minus 12K mintage ranges...taking a look at some of these fractional dates indicate metal+numismatic values exceeding their 1 oz similar date conterparts. Gettem' while you can...some are extremely difficult to find. Given the opportunity I'd sell common date 1 oz AGE and use the $ to purchase 1/2 & 1/4 oz key dates.

Tater likes this.
  11. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

I have taken this approach with the gold panda series and done very well.

KeyHunter likes this.
  12. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Funny, that's not what she told m... um, never mind. :angelic:

Draft saved Draft deleted