1983 DoubleD MM?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by robertk310, May 4, 2016.

1. robertk310

robertk310 Active Member

Roll hunting and found this specimen: 1983 D cent. The mint mark looked weird so i took a closer look--is this RPM or some sort of doubling variety? Thanks in advance for your expertise!

Attached Files:

old49er and Stevearino like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

Very interesting. Would like to hear, also, what those more knowledgeable think.

Steve

4. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

IMO, zinc rot. That's a very common spot for it.

5. robertk310

robertk310 Active Member

6. Stevearino

It sure looks similar. Why don't you PM that poster?

Steve

7. Stoneman2

Stoneman2 New Member

The photos are not clear enough to be sure but the location of the anomaly is a prime spot for zink rot as was already mentioned. The coin in the link provided is from a different die as the mintmark is in a different position

8. robertk310

robertk310 Active Member

I'm researching zinc rot and found a few examples in a different site, not sure if I'm allowed to post a link to an alternate site? But from the pictures they have posted of zinc rot on lmc's, it doesn't look anything like what's on this 1983d, unless mine is in the early stages? I'm going to keep researching zinc rot.. Any further input from anyone is appteciated! Thanks guys.

9. robertk310

robertk310 Active Member

Would it help if i tried taking some clearer pictures or do you think this is a case of zinc rot and not to waste anyone's time any further with this thread?

10. Stevearino

You're not wasting anyone's time as they can choose to read the thread or not. Post away, others, like me, may learn something too,

rickmp likes this.
  11. Stoneman2

Stoneman2 New Member

Never a waist of time when all can learn something including yours truly

12. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

definitely zinc rot, spend it and search on...

13. robertk310

robertk310 Active Member

Thanks for everyone's help in getting this figured out! Zinc rot? That's why i like asking questions here; always walk away smarter than when i came!

Draft saved Draft deleted