1972-S DDO & DDR missing the "e" in e.pluribus

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Wagon, Aug 23, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Wagon

Wagon New Member

While reviewing some coins for errors, I found a 1972-S red-brown coin with slight double-die errors on the obverse in the "LIBERTY" and the "s" mint mark, as well as a missing "e" in the e.pluribus.unum on the reverse. Any idea if this coin is valuable or not. See attached.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

4. Wagon

Wagon New Member

Thanks Tom, when you say expert are you referring to NGC?
    Sorry for the poor quality of the photos; I'm still perfecting my coin photo taking skills but I hope these photos can help.

Attached Files:

5. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

It appears to me to be Die deterioration damage from overuse. The die image is slowly squeezed to the perimeters of the coin over thousands of strikes ( notice how close the letters are to the edge) The numbers do also, and starts to appear as doubled, but it is just DDM. The mintmark seems to have chips reflecting damage to the mint mark punch being worn or broken in the thinner areas. IMO, Jim

6. Wagon

Wagon New Member

Thanks Jim, I am a novice searching for error coin so any advice you can provide will be greatly appreciated. My next step would be to consult an expert? If so, what expert(s) would you recommend to evaluate this coin. As I stated in a prior post, I have been buying coins most of my life for my son whom unexpectedly passed away a couple years ago. So, now that I am retired, I'm putting the collected coins together to see just what I have and possibly find something that is valuable. Anyone that can provide insight into the coin evaluation process and offer coins at auction would also be helpful. Sincerely PattiWagon!

7. thomas mozzillo

While all top tier grading firms have experts I was referring to members on Coin Talk. to name a few: @desertgem; @Fred Weinberg; @mikediamond; @paddyman98; a few more that I can't remember right now.
    As I stated in my first post the mint mark looked promising based on the photo. The middle curve of the S and the bottom knob, IMO, looks like it has some kind of doubling but I'm not an expert so it could be a form of Die Deterioration Doubling or Mechanical Doubling. That's why I said wait for the experts who know a lot about errors.
    edit Looking at the photo of LIBERTY I have to agree with @desertgem that it looks like DDD.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  8. Wagon

Wagon New Member

Thanks Tom, I also have a 1972-D that is missing the initials on the reverse and the e in e.pluribus is much lighter than the rest of the phrase and the mint mark might be doubling. What do you think?

Attached Files:

9. thomas mozzillo

10. Wagon

Wagon New Member

11. thomas mozzillo

Your welcome.

Draft saved Draft deleted