1972 cud? MD?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by dlp_dlp21, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Respectfully, you really ought to learn about doubling and the difference between machine doubling, which has flat, shelf-like doubling (like the one shown here) and actual die doubling. The two gentlemen who corrected you have studied this longer than I have and allow me to be the third person to let you know that you’ve got it wrong. Please do not give advice to others until you’ve learned more. Poor advice like that could end up being costly.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Hopefully he's do some studying on the variety and error sites ...

Seattlite86 likes this.
  4. I dont doubt anybody's knowledge. And debates are heathy! Now judging from what i saw there is dub... It seemed to me that only the guy deterioration was looked at and doubling was being pushed off as MD. Ive spent more hours than i like to admit reading and learning everything i can on DD's. Where my fosus of the conversation veered off was when 1972 ddo-001 " is a true DD" and everything eles is MD or deterioration. Obviously its not 001, but there are a ton of DD's for this coin alot being VERY CLOSE or mushed/ distorted. And yes alot are MDD, but none the less are still on lists of DD verities for this date.....

5. I personally look for the 4th DD it to me is KING over #1. My opinion... And in my defense not all who apply are by any means helpfull or nice. Im " testing the water" to digure out who is honest vs jokers.... That said hope to learn/share/teach with you guys more offen!

6. enamel7

enamel7 Junior Member

Nowhere in what was written did I see anyone say all doubling other than Ddo-001 was MD or ddd. You need to read the posts more carefully.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  7. Seattlite86

This is only true, when those participating in the debate have the relative knowledge necessary to have the debate. Just because someone stares at a website doesn’t mean that person is actually learning. You’d do better reading up in error-ref.com on HOW the errors are made to begin with. That coin is MDD; you can “debate” it all you wish, but you will only end up being wrong by saying it is anything but MDD.

8. Seattlite86

False. Not a single coin listed on the 1972 DDO is listed because of machine doubling. They are ALL listed due to die doubling. Any machine doubling on any of the listed coins is purely coincidence.

9. steve.e

steve.e Cherry picker

Let me try to mak this as clear as possible.
    Your coin is not a doubled die. All the coins listed on Wexler's site as dd are in fact dd.
    Ypur coin is not. If you feel that it is you can send it to Wexler for attribution for a small fee. I think around $5. Or you can listen to the forum and spend it. With all due respect.
    Steve E.

10. dlp_dlp21

dlp_dlp21 always and forever

Hey I didn't say it was I'm not one making a fit here I'm OP

Seattlite86 likes this.
  11. dlp_dlp21

I figured it was MD I am more asking about the rim cud couldn't find it on cuds I'll look again

Seattlite86 likes this.
  12. enamel7

enamel7 Junior Member

I think there's a lot of confusion here. The op asked about the rim cud. Victor said it was a doubled die. Paddy and Rick said it was master die doubling. Others then got confused and said they were calling it machine doubling. Now the op is agreeing it's machine doubling when in fact it's master die doubling. MD and MDD aren't the same thing! Now for some Tylenol!

Victor Vazquez likes this.
  13. dlp_dlp21

MIne was lazy typo i new what I meant lool

14. Its is master die doubling, the misunderstanding came when "master die doubling is not a true double die, as opposed to fs101. There several dd's listed as "true" DD' s that are in fact do to the MDD! I was just defending my replay %100 yes on the DD to the gentlemen who asked. It maybe $2 error but its still a recognized verity.

15. enamel7

enamel7 Junior Member

There are master doubled dies listed, but there aren't any master doubled dies listed as regular doubled dies. Tell me which ones are mistakenly listed as doubled dies.

16. Just picked a random 1.........
    IF YOU LOOK AFTER THE DATE & BEFORE " BEST OF VERITY" THATS WHERE ITS SAYS THIS!!!! Screenshot_2018-12-09-20-41-59.png Screenshot_2018-12-09-20-41-59.png

17. enamel7

enamel7 Junior Member

It shows the master die doubling, but it has additional doubling on the date. The die was made of a working die or working "hub" and at that time additional doubling took place. That's why it has both doubling.

18. Seattlite86

Sorry, but since when have we been calling MDD (machine doubling damage) and MD (machine/mechanical doubling) not as the same terms? This is the problem with using acronyms. If we’re not all on the same page, we can’t have the same conversation. Alan Herbert, an expert in coin errors clarifies MDD to be the very same thing as MD. https://www.pcgs.com/news/Collecting-My-Thoughts-Understanding-Machine-Doubling-Damage

Also here: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/cointalks-numismatic-acronym-glossary.257793/

Also here: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/numismatic-acronyms.1559/

Please clarify where this idea that MDD somehow means “Master Die Doubling” comes from.

@Victor Vazquez I honestly think part of the problem here is your language/word usage. I’m not sure if English is your first language, but you’re making a lot of grammatical and spelling mistakes that lead me to believe otherwise. The word, for example, is variety, not verity. I’m not trying to pick on you; I speak three languages and it’s makes it harder to communicate in languages that aren’t my first. My point is, I think we are missing something and it is hard to understand what exactly you are trying to say.

You didn’t pick a “random 1” when you took the photo of the coin listed on the Wecker list. You picked the ONLY coin on that list that has strange doubling on the 2 that looks like machine doubling and is even discussed in a weird way, because it says there’s a CW spread, but it’s the only one that doesn’t list what Class that spread is, leading me to believe they’re not discussing die doubling. Even if that’s did doubling on the 2, it’s the ONLY questionable one on there, listed in a weird way, and is NOT what the OP’s coin looks like. All coins listed on that website are from die doubling, and nothing else.

The point is that the OP’s coin shows no die doubling whatsoever. It does show some MD or MDD (which are the same thing) but not die doubling, and is not listed on any error website.

19. Seattlite86

I’m sorry, what? What is the difference between a “regular” doubled die and a master doubled die?

paddyman98 likes this.
  20. Not trying to be a wise @$$. I got talked to like i was a crash test dumby all day.... Its my upbringing that makes me stand up win or lose!!!! Even after i used %100 still got heckled!!! If i said %80 then there was room for doubt. But i used the whole
    You could have said you were right. Much shorter than that explanation. But i appreciate the acknowledgement even if i had to go around a bush to hear it.!!!! All seriousness thanks for not flowing blindly and bashing
    I apologize for the spelling mistakes! And i speak 2 languages English and after a few drinks Bad English.... Ill try to clean that up

21. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Umm... No

Seattlite86 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted