1970 d Kennedy half dollar 90% silver!!!!

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Michael777, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

time will tell ....

Oldhoopster likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

All drama aside, my take-away is the knowledge that a 1970 Kennedy Half in 90% silver is a really rare find. Before this, I didn't even know that. That's why I wish I had more time to go through each CT thread.

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Well, it has been three days, and we haven't heard from @Michael777 yet. Maybe @Fred Weinberg is out of the country and he couldn't get in touch with him.
    ~ Chris

Kentucky, ldhair, Reid Morgan and 2 others like this.
  5. Reid Morgan

Reid Morgan Member

Well, when @Michael777 finally gave us some info on his digital scale and revealed that his was calibrated with a 50 gram weight, I did suggest that it was not capable of discerning a one gram delta between an 11.5 gram 40% Kennedy and a 12.5 gram 90% planchet error from 1964-5? Maybe he decided not to submit it to PCGS?

In any event, every newbie has a right to learn by making mistakes and not get mocked and shamed for it. My first post on CCF was to upload a Kennedy half photo and ask if it was a new die variety? It was a simple case of MD, but no-one on CCF responding to my post treated me with anything but kindness, tolerance and a willingness to teach me the difference between MD and true hub doubling. A few weeks later I found my $7 "Wonder Quarter", a FS-25-1943-103(016.7). My Tru-View pic is still available for Doubting Thomases who think it is impossible for a newbie six weeks into die variety hunting to be able to discern and grab a $7 AU 1943 quarter in the 20 seconds I spent on that coin going thru a red box full of nothing but 2x2 25c flips. I did not know it was a FS-103, but I DID know it was a DDO. It was exciting to go home, with my wife by my side, go to the PCGS Price Guide website and use its hyperlinks to eliminate, first the FS-101, then to eliminate the FS-102, and finally to sit there in disbelief to realize I had found an FS-103!!!

D. Reid Morgan
    "Morgan Guy" on CCF

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

1. i own and use a brifit prisision heavy duty digital 0.1 scale it is calabrated with a 50g weight and ialso own a 20x-100× 3.5mp hdmi digital microscope for my veriety hunting so im pretty sure my tools of the trade are pretty acurate and with a well educated ownr that knows how to use his tools to be able to detect verieties and errors

Michael777, Tuesday at 7:19 PM Report Best Answer
      #23 Like + Quote Reply

2. [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      Michael777 Member
      Reid Morgan said:
      Thank you Jim, for your excellent answer. I too, have stressed the necessity of an 0.1 calibrated scale. I am not referring to the many good (if difficult, so what? I want the experience of people much more knowledgable than I) people on this forum. Please read carefully this entire thread from the beginning and look for the mockers and hope-to-see-you-fail-miserably-and-slink-away-in-shame posts in this thread. This is a good thread with lessons for many of us participating (especially me).
    3. dam cyber bully huh i would love to see you blocked from this site for being so envious you know thats the root of all evil and fyi failure is part of succes i do not fear or dred being wrong so sorry pall no way you will enjoy anything like that but yea hope one day your ignorance is lifted and you can live life happy not misurable to the point that you dind plesure in other peopels failures smh god bless you​

I believe he started the mud-slinging. Furthermore, it was pretty nervy of him to presume to give directions to "Mr. Wineberg" about reporting the findings when, and if, he ever visits Fred's office.

I would never presume to compare his illiterate rantings, some of which I've posted above, with your articulate and well-thought out responses. ~ Chris

7. Reid Morgan

Reid Morgan Member

Chris, thank you for your post above. What I specifically learned from this thread, is that I should have bought the .001 accuracy scale with a 50 gram maximum weight instead of the .01 accuracy scale with a 100 gram maximum weight. I wondered at that time which to buy and it seems I chose the wrong one based on the wrong criteria.

Thanks to this forum and thread, my new .001 accuracy scale arrives today from Amazon; gotta love Prime shipping!

8. bradgator2

bradgator2 Well-Known Member

9. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

IIRC there is a 1989 LMC struck on a copper planchet.
    A 1970-D Kennedy might just be probable. Just sayin'.

10. Joe Campbell

Joe Campbell Well-Known Member

Has this come back from PCGS yet?

Oldhoopster likes this.
  11. lincoln

lincoln Large Member

I hadn't seen this thread (just got back into coin things after a few years off). It was relatively entertaining.

12. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Actually this is not as likely, because of the size of the coins.
    It's easy for a penny planchet to be stuck in some part of a machine. And even years later, during a "clean" it is discovered and just tossed into a bin of zinc planchets, since at that stage without weighing, they look the same.
    The half dollar is much larger and heavier and less likely for this scenario to happen after so many years have passed. As I said, it is more likely to have happened in the transition year of 1965 when they moved from 90% to 40% than to happen 6 years later. Sure it's possible. But it is not likely, nor is it as likely as a later copper cent being discovered.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    Paul M. and GenX Enthusiast like this.
  13. GenX Enthusiast

GenX Enthusiast Forensic grammatician

I think it es cler that this guye is moore edicated than anny off US, seriusly, on a differnt LEVEl, and IF you don't believe it, yore just a jelly SANDWITCH.

These threads are entertaining until they are maddening. Why would anyone answer seriously after the first sign of crazy?

Kentucky likes this.
  14. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

You misspelled sammich. ;)

Cheech9712 and Kentucky like this.
  15. GenX Enthusiast

GenX Enthusiast Forensic grammatician

Just forgot to hyphenate; sand-witch;)

Kentucky and enamel7 like this.
  16. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

no, it wasn't sent, and we will never see it with the rejection label even if he does send it in

enamel7 likes this.
  17. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

C'mon, it's embarrassing as is for a "real collector and apreciate the art snd rarity of error an verietty"!

GenX Enthusiast and Cheech9712 like this.
  18. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Where does this sort of attitude come from? 50-50 says it comes from a troll.

Kentucky likes this.
  19. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Holy moly

GenX Enthusiast likes this.
  20. Cheech9712

God bless you. Can i have your autograph. Yipee. Great find.

21. Cheech9712

Thanks. Looked at red book and not able to find that

Draft saved Draft deleted