1964 Kennedy half dollar

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Anduin, Dec 28, 2015.

1. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Perhaps in photos, but in hand and with knowledge of the markers, they're rather easy to identify.

As for PR only, that was my understanding. However, I could swear that I've read somewhere that a transitional variety is now known or has been identified. This really isn't one of my areas though, so please don't hold me to this. Perhaps someone more familiar with the series and/or variety would be so kind as to enunciate. @19Lyds

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback Books! The reason I'm asking is that I think I have one.... but it's not a proof.

4. BooksB4Coins

You're certainly welcome for what little help it may have been. Perhaps a little googling could be productive until or unless someone more familiar can assist you.

I absolutely don't want to lead you wrong, and hesitate to say anything for this very reason, but if (IF) there is in fact a transitional variety and it's not just a figment of my fading memory, I would start with trying to match either all obverse OR reverse markers.

5. BooksB4Coins

TJ1952 likes this.
  6. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

There are some business strikes that have the accented hair reverse die with broken rays. Likely from the mint reusing old proof dies for circulation strikes kind of like with the Type B quarters. They don't really seem to be that popular or in demand though.

7. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

Yes, I'm ahead of you. I've already been on-line doing searches. I found this:

[​IMG]

My Kennedy definitely has the broken rays and straight G, no serif on G. The missing serif at the bottom-left on letter I is questionable, I can't tell. I'm going to need some expert eyes on this one. I also what to ask them if (in their opinion) it is worth getting graded.

8. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

9. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

Hmmmm, that figures?!?!? Thanks!

10. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

The coin is definitely a proof. As to grade?

Well, it's not even close to CAM much less DCAM and I don't believe that the grade is in the PR67 range which puts it into the $18 price range "graded".

Looking closely at the second set of photo's, there also appears to be some marking in the field above the motto which could be detrimental to the coins value from a TPG standpoint.

Unless the coin was some obscure variety, I wouldn't even submit it for grading.

Sorry........

I need to add, if "you" are pleased with the coin then thats all that matters but try to not fool yourself into thinking its a $2,700 coin. $25 was a bit high for a common 1964 Proof Kennedy.

Why were you in Brazil?

Coin-Dude likes this.
  11. 19Lyds

The Accented Hair Obverse Design (ODV-001) was a proof only issue but the reverse design (RDV-002) was also used for some business strike coins. 1964-D has quite a few of them.

They are quite common.

Coin-Dude likes this.
  12. BooksB4Coins

Much appreciated, sir.

13. 19Lyds

Dang! I meant to say:

"The Accented Hair Obverse Design (ODV-001) was a proof only issue but the reverse design (RDV-001) was also used for some business strike coins."

14. Anduin

Anduin New Member

Hi 19Lyds, thanks for your comments and no need to sorry. The marking in the field is a fingerprint. I agree with you I am very pleased with the coin , really a pleasure to look at, and its all that matters. In fact now i want the full series, including the 1964 accented hair. In my next trip to US in july I will try visit some stores.

Why were I in Brazil ? I am brazilian and live here all my life . Best regards

19Lyds likes this.
  15. BooksB4Coins

Whelp... that's as good a reason as I've ever heard. ;)

TJ1952 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted