1964 D Morgans

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by CoinBoyBryan, Feb 24, 2017.

1. CoinBoyBryan

CoinBoyBryan Member

I know there was talk about these re-strikes in the past here on CT, but I got a letter from the National Collectors Mint promoting them just the other day. They are $19.95 each, limit 5, which you can get at $99. They are being labeled as Non-Circulating Cook Islands legal tender clad in 71mgs of ,999 pure silver.

What are your thoughts on the numismatic value of these in the future?

Santinidollar likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

My thoughts are stick with the Dan Carr / Moonlight Mint ones if you want a true collectible. Those are "grannybait" versions that will not do well down the road.

http://www.dc-coin.com

Paul M., BadThad, dwhiz and 1 other person like this.
  4. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

They will have no value in the future and anyone purchasing them at issue price will forever be underwater. Well I suppose if silver made it to around $9,000 an ounce you'd finally break even and gain a little value on that 71mgs of .999 silver. I'm curious though can you share a picture of the mailer as I couldn't find anything via a google search on these.

5. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Check it out, it's a beauty and worth the money.
    The top one MS65 is the bulk issue. 1964D Morgan MS65 Bulk.jpg 1964 D Morgan DP1 MS69.jpg

6. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Paul M. likes this.
  7. Wow, 71 milligrams of pure silver (or is that micrograms)...lol. :D TC

BadThad likes this.
  8. CoinBoyBryan

CoinBoyBryan Member

Here is the letter.

Attached Files:

Blissskr likes this.
  9. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

See. Grannybait! The granny is even right there in the reverse :hilarious:

The addition of a tiny UK queen staring at a large American eagle is rather funny

Seriously though, stay away. Its nothing nut a marketing ploy "coin"

Paul M. and mikenoodle like this.
  10. CoinBoyBryan

CoinBoyBryan Member

Yeah, I'm definitely staying away. Thanks!

11. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Cool. Check out the link I posted above for a real collectible. The @dcarr 1964D "proof-like finish" and "matte finish" Morgans are still available at issue price but he's done striking the proof-like and the "high-grade clashed dies" is unavailable currently but he has indicated that a small number will likely come back on sale soon.

12. CoinBoyBryan

CoinBoyBryan Member

okay, will do. Thanks for the link.

13. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Sounds just like the "Tribute Gold Buffalo" sold on TV! I'll convert for folks, that's a whopping 0.071g of silver about 81 cents worth.

14. dcarr

dcarr Mint-Master

((71/1000) / 31.1) * $18.30 = $0.04

mikenoodle and -jeffB like this.
  15. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

but with the "Tribute Gold Buffalo" on TV, they said that the US Mint had to stop making the real coin!!!

Isn't the "tribute" my only chance to own this rare and highly demanded gold coin???

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  16. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

71 milligrams of silver equates to trace amount.

17. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

At least they did the right thing and stamped COPY on it.

Blissskr likes this.
  18. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Totally unnecessary. So no, it's not "the right thing" nice try at a drive by jab though ;)

19. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Why is it when ANYTHING remotely similar to a (copied) Carr product is posted, it ends up bashed and berated, often by the same individual who endlessly cries foul when Carr copies are even reasonably questioned? Why is it wholly unacceptable to post non-Carr copies to a Carr thread, yet absolutely no problem to not only promote, but also litter other threads with his products when it has nothing to do with him?

Regarding your original question, I would echo @Blissskr fine post. However, if concerned with future potential, you'd be very wise to do your own homework, and come to your own conclusions as opposed to taking ANY claims of opportunity you may read here as fact, or even at face value. Ulterior motives abound.

20. CoinBoyBryan

CoinBoyBryan Member

Good point, thank you.

21. dcarr

dcarr Mint-Master

Said the person who "littered" and derailed the hobo nickel thread with an unnecessary diatribe about Carr [lack of] talent.

(see post #18: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/this-thing-just-sold-for-500.291263/ )

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted