This thing just sold for $500

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Camreno, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Camreno

Camreno Active Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

@Camreno

I believe there are a couple of the hobo nickel carvers that pop in here from time to time. Their work is phenomenal and time-consuming. I've seen some of their specimens go for 4-figures in some auctions.

Chris

gregarious and Camreno like this.
  4. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Impressive work! I like the 3D effect.

gregarious likes this.
  5. Camreno

Camreno Active Member

It is insanely impressive work

6. cpm9ball

imrich likes this.
  7. aubade21

aubade21 Well-Known Member

Very cool. If it looks as good in hand as it does in the pictures, I'm not at all surprised by the final price.

8. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

These folks are very talented. I buy train/railroad related hobo's.
    Hobo 2-horz.jpg Balwin 4-4-4 Locomotive 1917 D buffalo Nickel 1a-horz.jpg Hobo 1-horz.jpg

9. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

10. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Could someone explain the point of these? While I had to admit there is a lot of skill all I really see if a defaced coin, and even that is a stretch for some of them. It would easier to make a cast mass produce them instead them going for prices like that. For that sort of money I can buy an uncirculated 19th century gold coin.

11. cpm9ball

The massive unemployment associated with the Great Depression forced many of the homeless people to take to the rails in search of work. Homeless camps were often established near the railroad tracks and to pass the time the transients occupied their time by carving. Hobo nickels marked this period in our history just like scrimshaw did for the whalers of the 18th & 19th centuries.

Chris

12. Camreno

Camreno Active Member

How would you know a real hobo nickle from a modern

harrync likes this.
  13. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

I know about their association with the depression. But these are modern ones. That's what gets me about the price.

NOS, harrync and Camreno like this.
  14. rmpsrpms

rmpsrpms Lincoln Maniac

Hobo Nickels are an art form, like oil painting or sculpture. If you don't think a Hobo Nickel has value, then you don't understand art.

15. cpm9ball

Try carving one for yourself. After you've screwed up countless coins and spent hundreds of hours trying to perfect the process, then maybe you won't think so little of them.

Chris

britannia40 and Blissskr like this.
  16. cpm9ball

If it is spelled "nickle" instead of "nickel", then it is a fake.:wacky::wacky::wacky:

Chris;););)

imrich, SchwaVB57 and Camreno like this.
  17. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I guess it's the same point as buying an original artwork instead of a mass-produced print of one of the masters. For the same price, I could get a really nice pristine canvas.

18. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I'm just amazed how anyone can carve one of those. That coming, of course, from a guy who can't draw a straight line with a ruler.

SchwaVB57, Camreno and Dougmeister like this.
  19. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

The example given in the OP, if indeed done by hand, is artistically light years ahead of, say, a certain individual whose greatest fame comes from the use of modern technology to exactly copy the work of more talented others. Considering the amount of work and genuine talent involved in the hand creation, the price of the former is a steal compared to the talentless latter.

KoinJester likes this.
  20. Camreno

Camreno Active Member

He seems to only do skulls :p

21. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

But the coins shown and linked are not hobo nickels, they are modern engraved art.

They are Art and people will pay for Art that moves them. Trying to justify what someone will pay for something is futile. Why do collectors pay hundreds of dollars for a 1909 VDB cent just because it has an S under the date? The them it's important and valuable. To a non-collector "It's just a penny."

A lot of "artists" seem to have some kind of hangup over skulls. So much so that I consider someone with a "skull fixation" to be a second rate artist.

Draft saved Draft deleted