1943 s copper penny opinion

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Magguss, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Magguss

Magguss New Member

i know nothing about coins, but know a metric ton about US stamps. People always post “Do I have the super rare version of this stamp?” and 5 times a week I have to say no.

So the TLDR version is, I’m doing the thing people do in my stamp forte to the coin world.

3.1 ounces
    Non magnetic
    Seemingly copper, with no visible, at least from my untrained eye, tampering.

Really don’t want to waste the money getting a cert if there isn’t even a snowballs chance in hell it might not be a forgery.

3A4EB6C1-8174-4915-A7C0-6FAB58A06CCD.jpeg D036963E-22D4-4C67-B9C7-750301E157C4.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Autoturf

Autoturf Well-Known Member

Id send it in to grade, authenticate after I got enough opinions. o 3.1 grams you mean, lol.
    you might be rich

4. Autoturf

3.1 hum too heavy

5. Autoturf

let me weigh one.

6. Autoturf

I have an uncirculated one shows 2.6

7. MeowtheKitty

MeowtheKitty Well-Known Member

Zinc...………..…………….

8. Magguss

Magguss New Member

9. Autoturf

sorry to spam, the weight of 3.1 would be correct, for a copper cent, I studied it for a min against a certified 43 s, the 9 certainly does not match. that's the only opinion I have. the loop of the 9 does not match, but just saying what I found in comparing the two from picture.

10. Magguss

Magguss New Member

Lol. Yeah. Like I said I know squat about coins. Post a picture of a US stamp though? I’ll tell you what’s up with it.

11. Autoturf

My coins are steel, I don't bother with fakes, lol.
    IMG_20190430_214518285.jpg

12. Autoturf

zink coated steel would be correct I belive.

13. Magguss

Magguss New Member

Hmm... I think the picture is too hard to see maybe. The difference seems subtle enough that I would prob need a scan. I’ll get my buddy to bring it over so I can scan it. Im helping him sell off his grandfathers stamp collection, and from a pure stamp point of view, the collection is a 9.5 out of 10. It wouldn’t surprise me that he might have some rare coins too.

https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/genuine-or-fake-1943-copper-penny-768883

14. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

It's not real.
    Every single person comes on this board with a 1943 copper.
    While some have been recently certified none have been discovered in over
    40 years. They are copper plated steel cents, altered cents, or Chinese fakes.
    Signed, Dr. Buzzkill

15. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I have never shown mine. :) The other option would be to take it to a show and have several dealers give you their opinion to see if any of them think it is real

16. Magguss

Magguss New Member

Yup, figured as much. I deal with the same thing in the stamp world. Everyone thinks they have a Scott #596 stamp ($100k) but... they don’t. Only two things I can say is that don't think there’s any way it’s a Zink Coates steel, and if it is a fake (prob is) based on the “patina” (not the right word but only one I could come up with) it would have to be a really old fake, or the Chinese have gotten AMAZING.

Michael K likes this.
  17. Magguss

Magguss New Member

M
    Yeah. I guess I was looking a couple people say at least “hmmm, maybe but not likely” and I would maybe send it in for a cert.

18. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

"Sending it in for a cert" isn't cheap or simple, but taking it to a show is free (or cheap) and you get to see some more coins

19. Magguss

Magguss New Member

Having sent stamps to APS, AF

20. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

A straight on image of the rev would be helpful. I see two things that make me suspect it is a fake. I have seen that high rim fin on the rev on a lot of fake 43 coppers.

21. Magguss

Magguss New Member

All I got picture wise. I’ll suggest what you said about the shows to him.

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted