1941 DDO5 penny

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by MatrixMP-9, Oct 17, 2018.

1. MatrixMP-9

MatrixMP-9 Well-Known Member

I got this penny in a coin roll hunt. Actually, got 4 indian heads one of which was a 1881 that unfortunately was in horrible condition but the date was readable. I am not a full timer here and tried to research to see what the value of the 1941 might be. To the novice, it all comes down to grade but I havent the slightest as to what is good or bad. The penny looks good in my opinion. I can see lots of good detail and there are no major scratches or anything but that doesnt mean scrud. I never sold on ebay...only bought. I am thinking about selling it on ebay for fun. It would be good coin to maybe learn and experience selling. I dont think by what Ive read its worth getting graded...but again, I dont know.

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/penny-1941-wddo-005.325316/

1941b.jpg 1941.jpg 1941a.jpg 1941d.jpg 1941e.jpg 1941h.jpg 1941b.jpg 1941.jpg 1941a.jpg 1941d.jpg 1941e.jpg 1941h.jpg 1941g.jpg 1941b.jpg 1941.jpg 1941a.jpg 1941d.jpg 1941e.jpg 1941h.jpg 1941g.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Gregg702

Gregg702 Active Member

I know almost nothing of error coins, but those are great macro pictures. Amazing details.

4. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

5. MatrixMP-9

Thank you Jim for taking the time to reply to my question. Also, Gregg, believe it or not its from an Iphone with a $1.45 Ebay scope from China lol! Worst set up ever but I try to get decent pictures. I actually like the challenge of taking my time "trying" to get the good pictures. 95% of the time, it results in failure.

This hobby for me gets more confusing everytime I post something. Perhaps I am using the wrong place when looking for DD coins. Ive been using Wexlers because it seems to have the most photos and is easiest at least for me to compare. Ive gotten so many coins I thought were DDs but after looking at Wexlers, never even posted them here for opinion. I dont like to post stuff now unless I see some clear evidence and as you can see, I appear to be wrong still. So difficult.

Please tell me if I shouldnt be using Wexlers as a standard for comparison. The DDO-005 Wexler has matches my coin to a T, however, in other places, it doesnt make sense.

This link here is the one I used. -005. Tell me if I am wrong for using this and which one I should be using when hunting. thank you!!!!!

http://doubleddie.com/597955.html

6. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I think I also got caught up in the nomenclature. As you can see from this from your reference above for Doubleddies.com

Cross References: CONECA: 5-O-IV, Cherrypickers: FS-01-1941-103 (018.3), Coppercoins: 1941P-1DO-006

Everyone wants the reputation of the numbering system, so they try to make their number 'special' .

I am sorry if I misread your post. I also think I am most likely wrong in saying it is a MD. It When you mentioned a -005, I did not immediately recognize it was Wexlers number, and was looking in the wrong areas of the coin. Looks pretty good for the DD, but can not tell the condition well.

Jim

MatrixMP-9 likes this.
  7. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

You may want to learn as much as possible about Machine Double, Die Deterioration Doubling and other degradation issues. Right now you are probably categorizing them all as DD.

You'll learn more of what to look for and what not to look for based upon what it looks like. If that makes sense.

8. MatrixMP-9

Thanks Jim! Very helpfull! Claw, I sucked sooooo bad at being able to tell the difference and quite frankly, probably made some of the old timers on here hate me with my posts last year. I was posting everything like a fool. Like most, I thought everything I ran across was some sort of DD. Im glad I did as now I am much more selective. I realize for ME personally, I am never going to find a "new" variety of true DD. Lightning will strike me 5 times in the same day and I will win the lottery that day in two different states before I discover a new variety. Not only because its so truly rare but because I am not skilled or educated enough to see it if it landed in my lap. My point is, I will always cross reference a site like Wexler or the others first. If I dont see what I "think" I have, it goes back into population. To me, it actually makes this more fun too because Im not scrutinizing every dang coin with the loupe looking for long amounts of at every tiny detail. Just some thoughts!

9. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

That coin has been cleaned to death. Lincoln cents should not be pink.
    If it was a valuable coin, the cleaning has destroyed it.

10. MatrixMP-9

Michael...I grabbed 4 from the "hunt" and snapped a pic. The penny top left is the one I would have thought "cleaned" but I cant tell. Maybe its just in good shape. Color looked right and everything but it just looked too shiny...however,its red or reddish or whatever. The 41 in question on the right does look like a different color compared to the others. Nice call I guess! I wouldnt even have looked at it that way but when compared like this, you can see it looks different then all the rest in that roll. Could something in the environment cause it naturally? What kind of cleaning causes this? will acid wash like vinager or something do that? Will the color come back after time since its just copper??? 4 lincoln.jpg

11. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

There are lots of things that change the copper color to pink.
    Vinegar, hydrogen peroxide. Lemon juice and salt will clean copper very well, but just for copper jewelry, it shouldn't be used on coins.
    It cleans the coin, but it strips off the patina and damages the coin permanently. No, the copper color will not come back on that one.
    Orange or pink is a bad sign.
    The one upper left I can't tell. It's either in very good shape, or has been cleaned,
    but in a different way than the 1941.

Draft saved Draft deleted