Penny 1941 wddo 005?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by MatrixMP-9, Oct 15, 2018.

1. MatrixMP-9

MatrixMP-9 Well-Known Member

I found this 1941. Seems in decent condition. I noticed what looked like an error of some kind on the "Y" then noticed a few more things. I checked wexlers to see if there was any info on it and found it sort of matches up. Doubling on the ear lobe, on the 1 and 9 and on the T and Y. Pictures arent the best but what do you think? 1941g.jpg 1941f.jpg 1941e.jpg 1941d.jpg 1941c.jpg 1941b.jpg 1941.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

4. Idries Pappas

Idries Pappas Well-Known Member

Looks like it to me.

5. toned_morgan

toned_morgan Toning Lover

Nice DDO. It looks more like a DDO than MD to me, so I would say it's an error coin. Not into error coins, so can't help more than that. Good find!

6. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

There are a couple of markers for that one you should check out. Perhaps someone will post a link.

7. MatrixMP-9

MatrixMP-9 Well-Known Member

I read where it said to look for a die crack along the "bust" but it didnt have a picture as reference. I see what looks like what could be very faint die crack(s) but Im just not skilled enough to tell for sure with this camera I have. As I look at it more, even being inexperienced, the doubling looks just like the pictures of the 005. Pretty crazy. I can by no means even guess condition but it doesnt look that bad...but that doesnt mean squat. What amazes me is that in almost 80 years it didnt end up in a collection. I guess it could have been in and out of one along its travels. I could be wrong but the value (I could be looking at the wrong sources) could be anywhere from $25 to $950. Kind of cool to have a $25 penny if indeed that is right. I will probably never know for sure since its staying in my collection.

Draft saved Draft deleted