1941 D Jefferson

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Paddy54, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Since I can't find any reference images of a 41 D Jefferson DDO or DDR what are your thoughts on the images posted?
    @Rick Stachowski @paddyman98
    1941 D IN GO.jpg 1941 D OD WE.jpg 1941 D TRUST.jpg 1941 D E PLUR.jpg 1941 D E PLUR.jpg

paddyman98 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Since I don't notice any significant notching at the corners where I would expect to see it, and the doubling appears kind of flat, I would suspect MD. Now wait for someone who knows what they are talking about.

Paddy54 likes this.
  4. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

The nickle has some serious metal flow lines and as the doubling is being pushed towards the rim I'd say Die Deterioration Doubling -DDD

paddyman98 likes this.
  5. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I'm leaning towards it being MD or DDD, but I'm not expert.

6. John77

John77 Well-Known Member

Do you have photos of the entire coin that you can post?

7. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

8. John77

John77 Well-Known Member

Seattlite86 likes this.
  9. tomfiggy

tomfiggy Well-Known Member

Die deterioration

10. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

But it's so well struck ,and will admit ddo and ddr's aren't my strong point as a variety collector .

11. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

All strike-doubling isn't imparted the same way. On some of the devices, you're going to see evidence of a hop. On others, a slide. On still others, nothing to raise your blood pressure about. These dies aren't always seated plumb to one another, and those are the sliders. When they're just loose around the collars from all the pounding they're sustaining, those are the hoppers. Die deterioration is also a strong suspect when you see a late die like this, as there's very little that can be done to restore the device cavities once those are compromised.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  12. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Well now - the plot thickens - I don't know then.:( Yeah - how can a well struck coin be from a deteriorated die???

13. tomfiggy

tomfiggy Well-Known Member

It is flat and shelflike on E Pluribus to the North. Trust shows the deterioration on the flowlines (channels inside the letters). A real doubled die will have a common direction of spin, or slide. Die deterioration does not.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  14. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It looks like die deterioration to me, too!

Chris

15. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

It does look like DDD to me also, but, the S with the serif looks suspicious.

16. Stoneman2

Stoneman2 New Member

From the amount of die flow lines in the fields this coin is a later die state. Looks to be deterioration doubling

paddyman98 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted