1939 Wheat Cent - Grade- Value?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Get Real, Sep 1, 2016.

1. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

How many marks are there on this Lincoln?

2012_01_20_0066raw3.JPG

2012_01_20_0077raw5.JPG

Or this one?

2016_06_08_0112b.JPG

2016_06_08_0111b.JPG

Or this one?

IMG_2729raw1.JPG

IMG_2727raw1.JPG

Or this one?

2016_06_20_0123sml.JPG

2016_06_20_0124sml.JPG

I have a clue how to image Lincolns, and evaluate images of Lincolns. I stand by my opinion of your coin.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

The mark next to the C in CENT looks to be a clash mark. The other two are hits.

4. Get Real

Get Real Active Member

Yes Sir! and I wasn't suggesting that that you don't. I can tell that you are well informed about Lincolns. I was only conveying that those marks that I circled are not incuse and therefore are not PSD.
    Looking at this coin with the naked eye one would assume that the SGS Grade is correct however under magnification is when these marks become visible. Now my confusion is what is the standard magnification at which coins should be graded? Does the terms "Detracting" or "Eye Appeal" come into play with the naked eye or under magnification and if magnified at what level? I have read the Sheldon Scale many times over the years and I fully understand it but what is the standard magnification at determining a coins grade? I would also like to note that the fields (Obv & Rev) on this coin are clean, there are "NO" post mint contact marks or bag marks in them even under high magnification. I have looked at those fields under magnification many times in disbelief and total amazement.

Although I have collected for many years I am still trying to refine my grading skills which is why I asked for help. I do not have anyone local to me which shares the same interest in coins so everything I know was self taught. I highly appreciate your and others comments even the negative ones as I to refuse to stop learning.

BTW, That's a really nice strike on the 1928!

5. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

6. Get Real

Get Real Active Member

Very informative video, Thanks for sharing.

The video did vaguely answer several of my questions, at least on the magnification and lighting that is used for professional grading as well as some of the criteria expected for some grades. I was somewhat disappointed that they where not using gloves while handling the coins though. Before anyone goes into the "Its perfectly acceptable to handle them by the rim", I would ask if you have ever had a coin slip out of your grips at which point you become a juggling clown trying to keep it from falling on you work area or worse, the floor? It just seems to me that a "Professional Service" would be more careful or professional.

7. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Have you done a lot of work using either plastic or cotton gloves? Do you find that you have less dexterity wearing the gloves with the accompanying loss of sensation? The fact that you have seen how professional grading services work should give you food for thought.

ldhair and Seattlite86 like this.
  8. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Well said.

9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Anyone think the mark between the C and E in CENT is from a clashed die?

10. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I do not think it is a die clash, but a die scratch. It does appear to be raised.

11. Get Real

Get Real Active Member

Unfortunately my day job requires the wearing of gloves for everything, but as aggravating as it all to often saves a life or our digits. I work with very small things that require constant adjustment or calibration and yes they make gloves that protect your hands and allows the dexterity to feel, turn, pick up or install the smallest of screws. For my coin collection I use the thin white gloves designed to handle such things and they almost feel like I am wearing nothing at all.

That really wasn't my point! If I handle my coin and I get a fingerprint on it or drop it then it is my own stupidity and I can only blame myself. A professional that I am paying on the other hand should have the respect and courtesy to not handle my potentially valuable coin bare handed.

12. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I don't think any professional graders use gloves and they don't for good reason.

Kentucky likes this.
  13. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

But they feel much safer using their bare hands. "respect and courtesy" aside, when they're handling $1,000,000 coins, they absolutely do not want to drop it. And I guarantee you they have a lot more expertise than you and I put together.

Kentucky likes this.
  14. Christopher290

Christopher290 Active Member

beautiful coin i must say!

15. Get Real

Get Real Active Member

Thanks!

My primary focus in collecting coins has always been silver dollars or anything silver for that matter but there is something about this one that keeps drawing me back to give it another once over. It is truly a beautiful coin in person.

16. Christopher290

Christopher290 Active Member

looks like it.. nice

17. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

I Agree!

18. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

Yes, A proof dollar today, which wasn't caught before reaching the floor in the coin handling area. The positive aspect of the experience which I learned many years ago is that a pliable ~50 durometer (~that of an "O-Ring") Urethane mat really absorbs kinetic energy, regardless of how the coin lands. I suspect that the surfaces in the TPG grading areas are similar hardness as mine.

JMHO

19. chip

chip Novice collector

Draft saved Draft deleted