1904 Panama 2-1/2 centesimos ("Panama Pill")

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by lordmarcovan, Jul 16, 2017.

1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

This one was in an old paper envelope from an 45-50-year-old collection I sold recently.

I held it back not because it was worth all that much, but because I hadn't seen one of these tiny little things in a while.

Despite my cellphone photos which don't show the grey tone, this one is an AU example, I'd say. But upon getting it under a loupe, I found it has a strange flaw/irregularity on the reverse that almost looks like somebody attached a button shank to it or something.

Oh well. Bummer. I just offered it to somebody for the ca. 1966-73 price that's penciled on the envelope: six bucks.

So it's nothing to write home about. But a fun little coin to squint at on a Sunday morning.

The last time I had one of these, I could actually see the thing without glasses. Now I can't make out anything on it with glasses. Had to use glasses plus a loupe! *sigh*

Of course I had to drop it on the rug no less than three times while taking these pictures. (I mean, that was mandatory, right? It's what one does with coins like this.) It's a wonder I ever found it again.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Steve66, Theodosius and Seattlite86 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

Hm. Bad code on my images. I can see 'em, but I'm thinkin' y'all probably can't?

Oh, well. Will try to fix 'em later. Gotta head out, now.

4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

The Panama Pill is so small it's impossible to take a picture of it! :wacky:

Stork, Michael K and Seattlite86 like this.
  5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

My pill.

[​IMG]

Another little cutie.

[​IMG]

6. Steve66

Steve66 Coin People

Here is a bad pic of mine...
    I have been meaning to attempt better pics. I think it may be an unc.
    IMG_9004.JPG IMG_9005.JPG

7. Steve66

Steve66 Coin People

Your right !!!
    Not great... but better I guess.

o1.jpg oo1.jpg R1.jpg rr1.jpg

8. lordmarcovan

Were my pix bad (i.e., "Red-X-of-Death") in the OP?

See, I'm discovering that when I upload pix in a PM first, then copy and paste them into the public forums later, they apparently will show just fine for me ... but only me.

(Kind of a smart feature, if that's the case. Prevents me from copying and reposting somebody else's PM and reposting or quoting it in public - at least the image part. The text part would probably work.)

So I'm curious if y'all can see them or not.

Anyway, I'll re-upload them here now, in case you couldn't.

(Not that it's anything fantastic, like I said - and the pictures stink anyway - but still a fun little coin, and I think the new owner will like it, for the $6.00 vintage price.)

PanamaPill-3.png PanamaPill-2.png PanamaPill-1.png

Draft saved Draft deleted