1892 Barber Dime Grade input

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Mark Metzger, Dec 15, 2020.

1. Mark Metzger

Mark Metzger Well-Known Member

Here’s a nice barber Dime I am considering sending in for grading. I would love some input on what you think it’ll grade. I have a real hard time grading barbers and dimes in general. The value jumps between MS64 and 65

3FBC9455-ED5F-44BC-B5AA-93126629A633.jpeg 215324E3-FFAC-4143-AFA5-A4D2167C146B.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

AU Details, cleaned

I can't tell for sure from those photos if the surfaces have hairlines, but that is what it looks like, and the overall look is that of a cleaned coin.

4. Mark Metzger

I’ll try and post some additional angles. My impression is not that of a cleaned coin, but I could be wrong. There’s plenty of luster in hand.

5. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

It doesn't look cleaned to me. MS65 . JMO

6. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Hey, Mark! Goodtoseeya!

I suspect it is more an issue of the photo being slightly overexposed than the coin having been cleaned, so put me down for MS63.

(I confess my first impression was 64, but I'll hedge my bets and dock it a point down from that just to be conservative.)

Edit, second look: nahhh, put me down for 64 anyway. I'll go out on a limb this time. :)

coin dog likes this.
  7. Lehigh96

I'm worried about what appear to be hairlines in the reverse fields above and below the words "ONE DIME." If those are something else, like die polish lines then the coin could straight grade, but I gotta be honest, I don't see anything close to MS65 from those photos. There is a gash between the E's on the reverse and the obverse is riddled with marks in the focal areas. My initial impression of AU was based on the flatness of the ear, but that is probably just weak strike. If the coin isn't cleaned, I don't go above MS62.

8. Mark Metzger

Here are a couple additional shots with a different background to lessen the exposure.
    AC2051D6-F527-4847-8F14-AFAF6D943655.jpeg 2DE2DBF9-28E7-4BE8-9EE3-FCCC0BC2E112.jpeg F822016A-869F-493B-92AF-5B2A4BA6CE01.jpeg F1FF8800-9C6E-43AF-A273-427F418B37A1.jpeg

9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I have a feeling that it has been cleaned.

Inspector43 and spirityoda like this.
  10. Incharge

Incharge Active Member

M/D on the reverse of the coin

11. Mark Metzger

Since we are talking about barbers, here’s another one I’d like input on:
    A417D46E-69C5-4C42-8FC0-D8011EC5EBF1.jpeg 6F2F7DE0-2AAD-415A-9A38-15451927336E.jpeg

12. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

1892: MS-64. Just can't get it to 65 no matter how I squinch my eyes.
    1909: MS-63, just too many marks in focal areas on both sides (cheek, neck, shield) to go any higher.

13. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

AU details on the first coin. Some of the black remaining around some of the legends leads me to think the coin has been dipped or cleaned. Looks like wear is evident in some of the high points.

MS 64 was my original gut feeling of the coin. The luster does look flat and washed out which makes me think this coin has also been over dipped or cleaned. There doesn’t appear to be any wear. I’ll go with UNC details on this one.

14. Lehigh96

Yeah, this one looks cleaned to me as well, there are hairlines on the obverse portrait. BU Details.

15. Mark Metzger

I think these both might be worth a cheap trip to ANACS who is running a 12/$120 promotion. I hate that they don’t carry the same cache as NGC or PCGS but it’s worth it for mere investigative purposes at $10 a pop IMO.

16. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Or you can send them to ICG with the CT promo.
    See attached thread from Skip @Insider

17. Mark Metzger

I don’t see anything attached...

18. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

19. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

Those are some crazy die chips on the dime reverse! I'll say MS64. Cleaned or not isn't obvious to me.

20. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I concur.

Both attractive Barber coins, IMHO.

21. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I see an old dip on both. Dime probably market acceptable from pics but 63-4 at best. Quarter I’d say questionable surfaces at best and 55-8

Draft saved Draft deleted