1833 50c- Overton assistance, pretty please?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by lordmarcovan, Oct 15, 2020.

1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Help with an Overton number?

Opinions on grade and eye appeal, etc., also welcome.

Just a relatively inexpensive newp I pulled the trigger on this morning.

I got it for less than G4 trend price. Looks at least Fine to me, at least in details. Originality? Dunno for sure, but looks market-acceptable to me. Suitably crusty without being overdipped or scrubby, or, on the other extreme, too dark.

Not many distractions I can see. Liberty's got a little smutz on her jaw, there, but that hardly counts as an issue in my eyes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Penna_Boy and Chris B like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

you got it as a Good?

ya stole it.

I'd say F or F+

CircCam and lordmarcovan like this.
  4. lordmarcovan

Well, I don't use Greysheet, but Numismedia says $62 in G4, $68 in VG8, $84 in F12, and $100 in VF20.

I got it for $57.25 after shipping, so by that metric, I got it for less than the G4 price. If there ain't any hidden problems, I think I did OK on this one.

I've got an offer pending on another one, in roughly the same price range, but not quite as high grade, perhaps. We'll see what happens with that one.

5. mynamespat

mynamespat Well-Known Member

6. lordmarcovan

Thanks.

R...?

7. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

WOW ,15 different varieties/ 3 distinct die states , I'll leave this one to someone more qualified .

lordmarcovan likes this.
  8. lordmarcovan

I knew better than to even try. I owned a copy of Overton once, but sold it because 1) I got a good price on it, and 2) because it read too much like a freakin' algebra textbook, as far as I was concerned.

(*I needed an algebra tutor in high school, after flunking that a few times.)

Mainebill and SensibleSal66 like this.
  9. SensibleSal66

What's it read on the rim ?

10. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

The O-103 is supposed to be quite common (R2). Any CBH made after 1827 does only have 1-2 scarce varieties max.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  11. lordmarcovan

Thanks again.

12. lordmarcovan

Good question. I'll have to remember to check. Just pulled the trigger on it this morning, so it is not in hand yet.

13. SensibleSal66

I have an 1836 lettered edge . Does mine have an Overton number also ?

14. lordmarcovan

Yep. Should.

15. SensibleSal66

I'll have to take photo's.

16. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

All varieties have Overton numbers assigned. Just like all coins in Krause catalogs have KM numbers, incl. US coins ;-)

17. lordmarcovan

Boom, done deal. Trigger just pulled, moments ago. Mine for $55.95, delivered.

Numismedia trends are similar. $62 in G4, $67 in VG8, $81 in F12, and $96 in VF20.

I'd call this one VG10-ish, personally. Just a squeak shy of F12. Again, paid less than the G4 trend price.

Again, a bit of smutz on Liberty's cheek and bust, but in this particular case, that looks like a light deposit of loose grime, which I suspect will come off with a very gentle and careful rub with a soft cloth and some rubbing alcohol (since I don't presently have any acetone on hand). It looks to me like I'll be able to remove the grime without affecting the natural toning.

What say y'all? 'Nother good one? I liked the look of it, for the money.

So there's another Overton lookup I'd beg indulgence on, if anybody's feeling helpful again.

PS- plus, it's a CircCam. I'm a sucker for CircCams.

s-l1600.jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg

We'll see if the member named @CircCam approves.

Mainebill likes this.
  18. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

I’d say you got yourself another O-103... which is an R1. That’s your favorite number, right? You should buy a random 1822 or 1826 now and strike it rich :-D

lordmarcovan likes this.
  19. lordmarcovan

Thanks again.

I once (unknowingly) owned an R9 (I think that's what the highest rarity rating is?)

The 1806 O-129 Draped Bust discovery coin was cherrypicked right off my Holey Coin Vest in 2006-ish. Naturally it was discovered after I owned it, and had sold it for a measly 75 bucks! LOL

20. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Correct, R9 = unique - Usually with CBHs you’re lucky if you can find an unattributed R4/5.

So you owned an 1806 R8 variety* and sold it for $75? I would commit suicide if this happened to me.

* it appears 2-3 are known now, you’d need to ask someone with the BHNC to confirm

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    lordmarcovan likes this.
  21. lordmarcovan

It was unique, around 2006, at the time of discovery, and thus R9 for a time, I reckon.

So R8 now? I did hear that one or two (or maybe less than half a dozen?) have been found since the discovery, so that makes sense.

Yeah, well. Win some, lose some. Sometimes you're the windshield, and sometimes you're the bug.

Bzzzz ... *splat*

longshot likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted