1814 Capped Bust Half 108a

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by willymac, Jun 26, 2017.

1. willymac

willymac Member

thoughts on grade?

this variety is marked by the most ridiculous die clashes I think exist on any US Coin.

Curious how to differentiate things that take away from the grade vs side effects of insane clashes etc.

estimates on grade would be awesome!!!

These pics are scans so I am sure they let the worst come out and kill the luster...

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. willymac

willymac Member

looks like the scans are hiding the clashes too - i need to post some other pics with some lighting and angles....its crazy...

4. willymac

willymac Member

Better scans

Attached Files:

5. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

The 1814 108a does have some heavy die clashing--especially on the obverse...but the major selling point is still that E over A on the reverse.

Looks like a nice XF.

6. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I think it's XF40, but the TPG'S don't know how to grade this die state properly, so it'll end up in a VF holder.

7. Broncoholic

Broncoholic Well-Known Member

If this helps you grade yours, feel free to compare. Please excuse the bad quality pictures. IMG_0460.JPG IMG_0471.JPG IMG_0476.JPG

longshot and CircCam like this.
  8. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

9. Broncoholic

Broncoholic Well-Known Member

You're saying his is XF all day? Or you think mine is undergraded and SHOULD be XF?

10. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

I think yours is XF based off the scans and assuming original surfaces. Nice pickup - gotta love the over dates and clashing you see in the bust half series.

11. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Whoa! How does that E over A happen?

12. CircCam

CircCam Victory

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  13. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Drinking on the clock wasn't frowned upon then. :)

Nathan401 and CircCam like this.
  14. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Yours is a 45, his is a 40

Broncoholic likes this.
  15. Dimedude2

Dimedude2 Member

Vf35? Not sure about the reverse

16. willymac

willymac Member

Waiting for it to come back - grade in though - PCGS AU cleaned....how would you price a coin like this that is as rare as this one is???

If cleaned it is unnoticeable

Thanks!

C-B-D likes this.
  17. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

I thought the reverse looked cleaned. I'm not an expert at all with what color a 200 year old circulated coin should be but the color looks off to me on the reverse.

I think the AU part softened the blow at least!

No clue on pricing it but there is a "Details Discount" thread here: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/the-details-discount-thread.301855/page-34#post-2918386 that may help you gauge what details coins discount at.

18. willymac

willymac Member

The clashing is so bad, there are one or two examples straight graded by pcgs that have as weak and flat reverse strikes....sucks too because straight graded at 50 is 2500 and 58 is all the way up near at 6750

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
Draft saved Draft deleted