1794 copper coin served as a prototype for the famed “Flowing Hair” silver dollar

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by love old coins, Apr 27, 2021.

1. love old coins

love old coins Well-Known Member

From Smithsonian: A one-of-a-kind coin struck at the United States Mint in 1794 sold at Heritage Auctions last week for $840,000—significantly more than its estimate of $350,000 to $500,000.
    According to the auction listing, the coin—dubbed the “No Stars Flowing Hair” dollar—“has a strong claim to being the first dollar struck by the U.S. Mint.” Its obverse, or front side, was minted from a different die than the famed Flowing Hair coins, making it unique among an already singular class of coin.

Of the 1,748 Flowing Hair dollars issued by the Mint in 1794, just 140 to 150 survive today. An exceptionally well-preserved specimen sold for $10,016,875 in 2013, marking the highest price ever paid at auction for a single coin. [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Nice write up. I just purchased my 1795 dollar and am frothing at the mouth to receive her.

4. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

This was already posted but NICE write-up anyways ! Thanks for sharing . ;)

love old coins likes this.
  5. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

Our fledgling nation's first representative symbols of freedom and strength. It is ironic that the eagle, a highly revered paragon of the indigenous people, was chosen as one of our nation's symbols.

love old coins and MIGuy like this.
  6. Randy Abercrombie

Didn't Ben Franklin suggest we use the turkey as our national bird?

MIGuy likes this.
  7. MIGuy

MIGuy Supporter! Supporter

When I win the lottery, she will be MINE! [note to self, start playing the lottery]

SensibleSal66 and COOPER12 like this.
  8. halfcent1793

halfcent1793 Well-Known Member

A very famous and significant die trial. I wish I owned it. And it was found in the dirt at the original Mint site, as I recall.

9. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

For a 1 in 17,000,000,000 chance of winning the lottery, I'll save my money and beat you to the sale. Good luck to both of us...

love old coins likes this.
  10. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

11. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

congratulations!

MIGuy and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  12. love old coins

love old coins Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, I didn't know I was reposting old news...I just received it on my Smithsonian email yesterday!

Robert Ransom likes this.
  13. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Pics?

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  14. Randy Abercrombie

Still in transit! This is the true view from PCGS. It probably looks familiar.

8634A2CD-CE90-43F3-B717-E086966D90A6.jpeg

john65999 likes this.
  15. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Thanks. Yes, it does look familiar. Where have I seen it?

16. Randy Abercrombie

Mister @C-B-D was quizzing the board about variety attributions a week or so back. For me it was love at first sight and I twisted his arm.

C-B-D likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted