Prototype of 1st US dollar coins auctioned for $840k

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Dougmeister, Apr 26, 2021.

1. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Excellent article . Thanks for sharing ! :happy:

Raymond Houser likes this.
  4. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

Interesting story. I wonder how you would grade a coin like that...what's wear or damage as opposed to the flaws one could expect on a coin struck under such crude circumstances.

Bruce

5. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

VF-30, 41 minting errors including soft rev. strike. :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

BRandM likes this.
  6. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Interesting read, thanks for the post.

7. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

Sounds about right, Robert. Quite a challenge to grade a coin like that.

Bruce

Robert Ransom likes this.
  8. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

In all seriousness, you would absolutely need the coin in hand to make any reasonable determination.

9. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I had never seen really detailed pictures of this piece before and did not know that it was corroded. I did not know that it was found on the site of the first mint in the mid 1870s. I suppose the net grade of VF-30 is correct, but since it's unique, it really does not matter. It is an interesting piece of history.

I don't know that the word "prototype" really applies. It's a pattern coin that was probably struck to see of the largest press the mint had at the end of 1794 could strike a dollar sized coin.

As It turned out, it could barely do it. Dollar production was suspended until a larger press could be obtained circa June 1795.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted