< $15 Silver: Is this something worth waiting on?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by I.L. McDougal, Jun 1, 2015.

1. PeacePeople

PeacePeople Wall St and stocks, where it's at

Good to know. Sounds like the usual, have a plan and stick to it.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

xCoin-Hoarder'92x Storm Tracker

Silver did actually briefly dip to $14.80 / oz months ago. But it quickly went back into the $15+ price.

4. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

It seems like just yesterday when silver was over $30/Oz and folks posted scholarly articles that professed silver was fairly valued at $134/Oz.

What a difference a day makes!

5. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

What a difference big bank manipulation makes.

6. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

If this is referring to the price of silver, it is not an accurate statement. Stackers would like to believe it simply because it is more palatable then believing they were incorrect or just plain snookered by the Silver pimps.

FryDaddyJr likes this.
  7. Kip Caven

Kip Caven Member

Dont know about the price going below 15 but I DO know I will buy metal before I would EVER buy stocks or bonds. I want something I can hold.
    Anyone ever heard of the Great Depression? Would you rather have had a sack full of metal or a bank full of stocks and bonds? (yeah thats what I thought)

8. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

Well it depends. Sure, during that time frame, equities lost almost 80 % of their value from 1929 to 1932. On the flip side, since silvers recent peak, it has lost nearly 70% of its vales and still falling. Equities have climbed 150% during the same time period.

In addition, the 1980 crash of silver was worse than the GD was for equities. Silver lost an incredible 90% of its value in 30 months. So I really fail to see how bringing up the decline in equities during the Depression makes any point at all, correct???? (yeah, that's what I thought)

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
    -jeffB and yakpoo like this.
  9. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

When it comes to over exuberance, it doesn't matter if is stocks, bonds, beanie babies, gold , silver, non precious metals, gasoline, housing , etc. ~ whenever human see a way to enhance the spread in their direction, the risk of a balloon and a crash becomes very high. Look at the chinese stock market
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/china-brokerages-pledge-buy-least-075109165.html

"the country's stock markets after a slump of nearly 30 percent since mid-June.

China stocks had more than doubled over the past year, fueled in large part by investors using borrowed money to speculate on further gains."

Now if the Chinese and by default the Asian world's economy falters the precious metals may get their short shot at a false bubble and crash. The "hold strong hands, the averagers, the it will go to the moon rabid believers " will buy it up to over $30 and ride it back down to $15, as they are "believers".

Gipper1985 likes this.
  10. Kip Caven

Kip Caven Member

Id STILL rather hold it in my hand

xCoin-Hoarder'92x likes this.
  11. PeacePeople

Interesting that you could change that to the US markets but would have to get rid of the borrowed money and insert money printed by the fed...except the US markets haven't corrected yet...they will soon enough...regardless of how much kool aid people drink...

12. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

When what I'm holding in my hand exceeds a certain value, I start to worry about dropping it.

13. PeacePeople

That's when it's time to sell...

14. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

For hundreds of years, regardless of economic conditions, an ounce of gold has always bought..."a nice Men's suit in London".

There's a level of contentment (and anonymity) you can only achieve with PMs.

15. tulipone

tulipone Well-Known Member

It certainly wouldn't come close these days. You are looking at at least 2oz but more like 3 or 4oz for 'nice'.

16. PeacePeople

Nonsense. While you could spend more, you could get a fantastic suit for $1200 or 800 pounds.

17. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

I just saw an ad on TV where you can buy one suit and get three (3) more "free" at Jos. A. Banks. I wonder if they have an outlet in London...:rolleyes:

tulipone and OxJaw like this.
  18. tulipone

tulipone Well-Known Member

Okay. It would appear that our definitions of 'nice' is different. My last years suits cost £1650 each. By no means are top of the range, more towards the lower for hand made. Nor are they Savile Row that I think were referenced above.

19. sgt23

sgt23 Active Member

Some of the children and grand children of the people who held on to those bags of stocks from the 1920's and 30's made a killing in the 80's and 90's. Specially if the company survived.

20. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Tell me, why have men's suits dropped in price by more than a third since September of 2011? Because apparently a man's suit cost around 1180 GBP back then, and now it's down to about 750.

21. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

I think you'll find that a longer term regression shows that gold and inflation (real inflation; not the CPI) track fairly closely. Alan Greenspan used gold as his primary inflation indicator when he ran the Fed.

Draft saved Draft deleted