12 Caesars: Small Bronzes Virtual Tray

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by IdesOfMarch01, Sep 29, 2017.

1. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

Although smaller denominations were coined, the Roman as was the smallest denomination commonly used in commerce. The dupondius, worth two asses, was also commonly circulated during the reign of 11 of the 12 Caesars (Julius Caesar's reign being the exception. Originally 1/10th of a denarius, the as was later devalued to 1/16 of a denarius (there were four asses to a sestertius, and 400 asses to an aureus).

Group - Small AE VT.jpg

I've always found it visually interesting to see sets of similar coins presented in a virtual tray arrangement, and I hope the collectors here find it interesting too. Different artistic styles and slight evolution of realism / idealism can be seen. It's also fun to see the "rogue's gallery" of 12 Caesars in one picture.

Neither Julius Caesar nor Otho minted small bronzes or sestertii during their reign, so my collection necessarily has two empty spots in it, as well as a distribution of asses vs. dupondii.

Let's see some small bronze virtual trays -- they don't need to be complete!

Next: Sestertii Virtual Tray

4to2centBC, alde, Andres2 and 27 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I love seeing your collections this way. Beautiful!

4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Very nice!

5. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Gorgeous presentation! I also love seeing them as a 'virtual tray'!

6. Daniel Jones

Daniel Jones Well-Known Member

I always appreciate and love your amazing coin exhibits, and knowledge.

7. RAGNAROK

RAGNAROK Naebody chaws me wi impunitY

Thanks mate! :snaphappy:

8. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

I love middle bronzes, and that is a stunning virtual tray!

My database allows me to gather up obverse photos with a search query, so here are my Imperial middle bronzes:
    Screen Shot 2017-09-29 at 2.35.01 PM.png

9. Daniel Jones

Daniel Jones Well-Known Member

This may seem lame, but whenever I think of your 12 Caesar gold type set, all I can compare what I have to it is my 16 lanthanide element coin set.

10. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

Lovely "trays." And SA, I really dig that Commodus as Hercules As. I've been wanting one of those myself. That's a very nice example.

11. Severus Alexander

Thanks! I got that one from NFA years ago.

Gavin Richardson likes this.
  12. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

What database is that?

13. Severus Alexander

Bento for Mac. I like it a lot, but it's not being sold any more. At some point I'll have to migrate to Filemaker or something.

14. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

15. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Wow. Just... wow.

'Twas the Nero that leapt off the monitor at me the most - so glossy and gorgeous! - but that Vitellius beneath it grabbed my attention, too. And then the startled-looking Claudius... wow. What a stunning array of AEs!

Honorable mention to @Severus Alexander's "virtual tray", too. There it was the Sabina that leapt out at me. I've always liked the high relief on those portraits of her, and her distinctive hairstyle/headdress.

I wish I had been more fastidious about photos in my Roman-collecting days and Twelve Caesars phase. Only after a couple of years into my present "Eclectic Box" era did I get pickier about having decent pictures done of my coins. (And that's still a work in progress - I just had most of the ancients in that last link reimaged, and the new pix won't be added until the next Eclectic Box update.)

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
    Severus Alexander likes this.
  16. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Somptuous !

Q

17. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

That is one, outstanding set! May I ask how long it took you to assemble it?

18. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the compliment!

I started collecting bronzes in late 2010 (beginning with the Claudius as), after completing the denarii and aurei sets (to be shown later), and just got the last one (the Augustus dupondius) late in 2016. So overall, almost six years for both sets of bronzes.

19. AngelDeath

AngelDeath Well-Known Member

Wow they are GORGEOUS coins! Mine can't compare but here they are.

I have the otho just haven't finished the piece yet. IMG_3647.JPG IMG_3645.JPG IMG_3646.JPG IMG_3646.JPG

20. dlhill132

dlhill132 Member

Ides, what a wonderful collection!!!!

~Doug

21. gogili1977

gogili1977 Well-Known Member

Beautiful tray with imperial small bronzes, I can suggest you to complete an interesting virtual tray of "12 Caesars - Provincial bronzes".
    I have to contribute one interesting of Augustus:
    20170312_114731.jpg 20170312_114756.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted