100oz Engelhard Bar Possibly FAKE ???

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Shwine617, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Shwine617

Shwine617 New Member

Well while this seem to be the hot topic tonight, might as well post some pics of this too. I bought this bar a while back for spot price from a local dealer. For some reason it always worried me because the surface didn't look quite right to me.

It weighs correct, no magnetism, passed acid test, rings really loud when hit in a plastic bag. What concerns me is the texture on the surface compared to others I have seen, and also the two spots on the bottom. They either look like filled drill holes or a place where air was trapped when poured?

my larger scale only weighs regular Ounces, but 109.9 oz converts to 100 troy oz.
    any input is appreciated.

2013-02-24_23-57-18_334.jpg 2013-02-24_23-57-53_178.jpg 2013-02-25_00-10-23_883.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Atomic Morgan

Atomic Morgan Member

Drill it and find out

4. silverfool

silverfool Active Member

no sweat

don't worry about it. seems like you checked it enough. or just swear it's real and sell it to some other chump.:devil:

5. wheatpennypeter

wheatpennypeter New Member

It looks totally fine, the things about it that worry you are just typical features of an old poured bar. I have one almost exactly like it. The smoother bars were extruded, not cast/poured. I love how these old ones ring . . .

6. awwatchdog1

awwatchdog1 Member

are you sure you are weighing it in troy ozs and not avd?

7. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

See last line of OP.

8. coinguy1jk

coinguy1jk New Member

It looks ok to me as well if it worries you that its a fake sell it and replace it with another one the only issue you will have is the dealer you sell it to n buy from another will probably make 15-20 percent on you buying another one but atleast you will have piece of mind or you can take the cash from selling it and invest it into 90% silver us coins atleast theres more of a garentee there real over the silver bars

9. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Looks to me like an older bar of silver that has been silver tested, period. If you're that worried about it sell it. I'm sure it's fine.

10. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

do a core sample..

11. Shwine617

Shwine617 New Member

Thanks for the replies guys, I feel a little better about it. I guess I was worried because I got it at spot and thought it was too good to be true. Then I got something else that actually was fake so it had me thinking.

12. Juan Blanco

Juan Blanco New Member

GainsvilleCoins says: "Most, if not all, of the 100 ounce Engelhard Silver Bars have unique serial numbers. The letter P is used to denote poured bars, and the letter C is used to signify stamped or cast bars. The letters appear in front of the serial numbers. The poured silver bars were issued before the stamped or struck ones, and the first bars issued had a six digit number with no prefix. The struck silver bars have lettering that is raised, while the poured bars had the logo and lettering stamped into the bars."

Am I misreading MO66286? Standard Engelhard Logo, here: http://about.ag/Engelhard-100oz.htm#SerialNumbers

13. Shwine617

Shwine617 New Member

14. miedbe7

miedbe7 Wayward Collector

15. Shwine617

Shwine617 New Member

interested info. the sides are ground down some. thanks

16. Clutchy

Clutchy Well-Known Member

Bring it back. Tell him for some reason you have a bad ju-ju feeling about the bar. Im sure they will exchange it for another bar.

17. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

At a local auction last week I saw one of those 100 troy ounce bars but didn't bid on it because so many of them have been drilled then filled with lead.

Google:100oz Engelhard silver Bar fakes then check out the results.

Draft saved Draft deleted