10 Oz Silver Maple Leaf Coin

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by stoster38, Feb 22, 2017.

1. stoster38

stoster38 Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Now that is a silver hockey puck! I like it. TC

4. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Nice as it is I am not sure it is a good deal. I did not see a price but I am sure there is a hefty premium. I would not think there would be a huge resale market for those and so it may not be possible to recover the premium is selling. If I were going to be getting a 10oz silver then I think I would go with a bar from one of the standard manufacturers.

silversiren likes this.
  5. mostly_broncos

mostly_broncos Junior Member

Whats the justification for a per ounce premium on a coin? I understand a per coin premium as you have to make the coin. A ten ounce coin should have a higher per coin premium because they make less but it should not be ten times as much. That's silly , its not 10 times harder to make 1 10 ounce coin , its actually harder to make 10 1 ounce coins. In fact since no one is twisting anyone's arm into making 10 ounce coins the premium should be lower per ounce in order to encourage buyers to get them.

6. Looks like these are at about $20 per ounce which is not that bad of a premium over spot for a unique RCM issue. Better than the 5 oz ATB bullion in cost per oz over spot for sure. There are of course generic 10 oz bars that will be cheaper/closer to spot. It all depends on what you want to spend your money on. I had a great discussion with a bullion dealer a few years ago. I asked him what he had for silver as close to spot as possible. He pulled out a box from behind the counter that was filled with metallic items of all shapes and sizes, but nothing that resembled a coin or a bar. Think nuts, bolts, and widgets with lots of dings, scratches and dirt. All were stamped .999 though. Awesome deals on that stuff, but I turned him down. I like pretty, shiny bullion that is reasonably priced and may someday have some numismatic/historical premium. TC

stoster38 likes this.
  7. crazyd

crazyd Well-Known Member

I have actually been thinking about a RCM 10 oz bar. The cost in the link above is not much more than the bar - and its a nicer looking coin. I can't find mintage on it anywhere and its also not listed on the official RCM site ? Also just for kicks - here is the front of it which was not shown in the link above which just showed the back with the maple leafs.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  8. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

By a strange coincidence I went to the "local" coin show (100 miles drive) yesterday, for the firs time in two years, and saw one of these for sale. Never seen one before. Didn't get to find out what they were asking for it because the table was busy.

Draft saved Draft deleted