> 1 Ounce Gold Coins

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by GoldFinger1969, Jun 23, 2020.

1. ddddd

ddddd Member

With a bigger proof coin the reflection should be even more dramatic.
    And if big shows ever come back, then it would be interesting to find one of the old classic gold proofs in high grade and compare it to a modern example in hand.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. HaleiwaHI

HaleiwaHI Active Member

This is often why 100oz silver bars often go for considerably less than 100-1oz silver rounds (even rough pours)

Kentucky and midas1 like this.
  4. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

But these particular coins have low mintages.....they're in a special/big slab.....and the grade (PF70 and/or UC or DCAM) adds rarity.

HaleiwaHI likes this.
  5. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Yes but cost as well. People buying 8k+ coins are in the one percent of coin buyers, it's not a bad thing but a reality

6. HaleiwaHI

HaleiwaHI Active Member

I would imagine that this beauty lands in the hands of some gazillionaire who puts it on a shelf someplace and dusts it off on special occasions.

7. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Eh, more people than you think could pull the trigger if they liked the coin. I can think of quite a few here who could buy it, and don't think they are gazillionaires.

HaleiwaHI and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  8. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Yes the wedge tailed eagle coin is a beauty but there's a couple of reasons why I wouldn't buy it if I could afford it. The first reason is it's not a US issued gold coin so the liquidity factor could become a problem. The second reason is it's not even our eagle it belongs to the Aussies. And the last reason is most gold coin collectors I know personally won't buy foreign gold coins at all so that translates to the same issue, liquidity.

9. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I would say they are missing out sir. I love my foreign gold. Buying real coins used for commerce at gold melt prices? What could be better? I have lots of US gold too, mostly pre-34 stuff, but the Mexican 50 peso coin is spectacular, 20 peso interesting, I have coins from many countries, even a few of Napolean Bonaparte!

Sure, not for everyone, but sure an interesting way of owning gold instead of stacking ounce over ounce over ounce of AGEs.

HaleiwaHI likes this.
  10. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Not really, at a stiff premium maybe it would be an issue but relatively small premiums like the sales history its not an issue at all for many countries. The grading removes most to all of the what if it isnt what they say factor. Something like a raw Latvia coin yea that could be an issue

fretboard and HaleiwaHI like this.
  11. HaleiwaHI

HaleiwaHI Active Member

Collecting gold like you're doing is like collecting art. The more different varieties I own, the more I enjoy my collection. That's also why I collect foreign currencies. You just can't beat the imagination of some artists when it comes to detailing it on their paper currency.

GoldFinger1969 and medoraman like this.
  12. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Allow me to clarify, I buy foreign gold as well, some are posted in my albums and I've posted other pics elsewhere here on CT. Personally I don't have a problem with foreign gold but when I've sold gold coins in the past, I've always found it easier to sell US gold, that's all I'm saying. Plus we're talking about a 5 ounce gold coin, maybe some would want to buy it, idk. I'd rather have 5 one ounce gold coins than that one 5 ounce gold coin, that's all. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted