1/2 lb silver eagle worth keeping or should I sell/trade it out for 1 oz's

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by GoodWoodRice, Mar 6, 2011.

1. GoodWoodRice

GoodWoodRice New Member

Have this half lb silver eagle and wondering what the thoughts are on keeping this or possibly selling/trading it for more standard 1 oz american silver eagles or bars.

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. usc96

usc96 Junior Member

If you enjoy having it, then keep it. It doesn't have any numismatic value, but it's still kind of cool looking.

4. HULLCOINS

HULLCOINS Junior Member

I really like it,

5. Rhino89

Rhino89 "Roubles"

Ask yourself this question:

If you were offered to either take this coin, or take about $270 in cash, or to take about 8 smaller coins with the same design, which would you choose? If you chose the cash, sell that thing. If you're a collector and would love to display that piece, obviously keep it. If you'd rather have 8 smaller pieces in an album, in a neater display, maybe some kind of a series going, then trade/sell for the smaller 1 oz'ers.

6. FishyOne

FishyOne Member

Determine whether it's 6 troy ounces or 8 troy ounces first. They were made both ways.

Mine were 8 troy ounces and I sold them to get smaller denominations that I like better. The choice is yours.

7. GoodWoodRice

GoodWoodRice New Member

fishy here is where im a little stuck, i have a jewelry scale that i use to weigh coins, but with the massive size of this coin, some of it hangs over the edges (a fairly decent amount of the coin. the scale reads 6.06 ozt, not sure if the hang over is messing up the weight and its actually 8 ozt

8. tlasch

tlasch Penny Hoarder & Food Stamp Aficionado

8 oz is about right for 1/2 lb. On a standardized scale (not troy) there are 16 OZ in a pound. Amazing coin

9. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

A troy pound is 12 troy ounces. So half a troy pound is 6 troy ounces or 186.6 grams

10. GoodWoodRice

GoodWoodRice New Member

some of these oversized sae's are 6 troy ozs and some are 8 ozs (it all depends what scale they used when saying 1/2 lb. as states above i weighed the coin on my scale and it was 6.06 ozt ( oz's troy), but a decent amount of the coin was hanging off the over the edge of the scale. I think its 8 troy ozs to be honest and was sold as 8 ozs by a reputable seller

11. slamster17

slamster17 Junior Member

I'd sell it and reinvest I think

12. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

All of the weight of the coin is being measured by your scale, even the overhanging portion. Your coin is six ozt and 1/2 lbt. It cannot possibly be eight ozt.

13. jrr888

jrr888 ANA# R3158442

I've had a ton of these in all different flavors. It needs to be weighed in grams and divided by 31.1 to figure troy ounces. I get 10 ozt. price for them. The smaller the bar the higher the premium does not apply to these because they are kind of hard to sell. Some people come in and get all I have, so to each their own. Just make sure they are marked .999 fine silver or else. I see them all the time and people have held on to them for years not knowing...I alway ping 'em too before buying.

14. I would sell it and buy something you really want. Today looks like a good day to sell. TC

15. GoodWoodRice

GoodWoodRice New Member

thanks for the advice guys

16. ktcmojo

ktcmojo New Member

coin

what do you want for it? i havent even seen the picture but i have plenty of smaller coins to trade!

17. Tyler

Tyler Active Member

This thread is 8 months old.

18. ktcmojo

ktcmojo New Member

no offense but some of my coins are 100 yrs old.............so youre saying im wasting my time?
    Im sorry! Im new to this forum obviously-

19. Tyler

Tyler Active Member

I meant to say 1 year 8 months. The last time the original poster has been on was 1 year 5 months ago. You probably are wasting your time. I posted to let you know that you will not get a response. I didn't mean to offend you.

20. ktcmojo

ktcmojo New Member

Oh no im not offended at all!!! Im new here and obviously didnt look at the dates-WOOPS
    its all good buddy!
    YOU CANT LEARN UNLESS YOU MAKE A MISTAKE :)

21. highroller4321

highroller4321 Junior Member

Be aware of fake and plated ones of these. I would stay FAR away from these large "eagles" Not only does everyone get confused because of all the varities (1 pound, 1 troy pound, 1/2 pound, 1/2 troy pound) but these are lots of silver plated ones.

Draft saved Draft deleted