1, 1, 1, 1, 1, Won

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by TIF, Dec 1, 2018.

1. TIF

TIF Always learning.

This coin is very special for completely non-numismatic reasons. It's historically important... but not for its ancient history. The value is in how it represents friendship, camaraderie, and for what will hopefully someday be a fondly-remembered ancient coin milestone.

Here's the coin. It's not rare. It's not in great condition. There are about a hundred of them for sale right now on Vcoins and most of them are much nicer, albeit more expensive. I wanted it anyway and it was my most important target in today's Ancient & Medieval Coins Canada auction, the brand-spankin' new Canadian auction house created by CoinTalk's @Severus Alexander.

MassaliaObol-AMCCimages-RT.jpg
    GAUL, Massalia
    c. 350-150 BCE
    AR obol; 0.59 gm, 10mm
    Obv: youthful male head left (Apollo?)
    Rev: wheel with four spokes; M A within two quarters
    Ref: Depeyrot, Hellénistiques, Type 18; SNG Leipzig 13.
    AMCC Auction 1, lot 1, 1 December 2018

Bidder #1 placed bid #1 in AMCC auction #1, lot #1, and on December 1, won.

How's that for a silly reason to want a coin? Silly though it sounds, it truly was important to me :).

I've been planning to win this lot months before Sev had even determined which coin would be lot #1! I'm greatly relieved it wasn't a dekadrachm :D. The moment his auction was posted I staked my claim on lot #1 with a generous bid.

Over the next week or two I placed another seven pre-bids. Today I bid live on many more lots. Happily, I now have several coins formerly belonging to various CoinTalk members-- @zumbly, @Severus Alexander, @Justin Lee, and @jamesicus . Yay! I went a bit overboard today but since I lost my higher-dollar targets that takes the edge off, plus the prices were still comparatively low and the exchange rate is very favorable. I normally wouldn't post a coin before it is in hand but I've already waited soooo long for this and couldn't resist posting just this one :D.

I've made several close friends thanks to ancient coin collecting and it was a completely unexpected benefit of the hobby! Truly, some of the finest people I know collect ancient coins. Congratulations to @Severus Alexander on the inaugural AMCC auction. Cheers, and here's to many more :).

My final tally for the auction:
    • 17 lots bid on
    • 11 lots won
    Not a bad average-- a much higher win rate than I usually experience.

Show us your coins purchased for whimsical, nostalgic, or silly reasons!

:)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Congrats @TIF !

TIF likes this.
  4. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

The timing was bad for me, so I could not bid though there are several I wanted to bid on. :(

I habitually buy coins from Metz because I really loved living there. :)

F43B13AB-1053-4014-9EC1-7619D866499A.jpeg DC6367CE-E088-47AD-AA0B-8CDE33E30DFA.jpeg FC0EAF33-D1F6-4A49-9CB9-76340050D822.jpeg A74937AD-F161-4481-B1CF-48D8B4344612.jpeg 3B9A2304-6E74-4C1E-9EFD-7B8234A054A7.jpeg

And I have 7 more on the way! :) :)

5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Congrats to all winners and to Sev Alex; however, I'm bummed since none of my bids were high enough. :(

ominus1, Silverlock and TIF like this.
  6. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Bravo! Very auspicious!

(No, Autocorrect- stop that! I was trying to type "auspicious", not "suspicious". Geez!)

7. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

ominus1, TypeCoin971793 and TIF like this.
  8. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Well done @TIF . I won 6 today (Correction I won 7... I had an itchy trigger finger!). The provenances I know about include @zumbly and @jamesicus . Two great fellow collectors and friends.

Here is a coin I won today in the AMCC Auction 1 that I already dressed up for his induction into my collection ;)

Septimius_Severus_AD_205.jpg
    Roman Empire
    Septimius Severus (AD 193-211)
    AR Denarius, Rome mint, struck AD 205
    Obv.: Laureate head right
    Rev.: Jupiter standing, facing left, holding scepter and thunderbolt, "headless" eagle at left :p
    Ref.: RIC IV 196

I like the portrait style and I already have a bit of a sub collection of Jupiter in this stance from the later empire. This one seemed like a good addition. I actually picked up two Severan coins today.

I was surprised to have no competition for this coin. Got it for a steal. If I had the funds currently I would have bought most of the unsold lots. Some great deals... Christmas come early :)

chrsmat71, randygeki, ro1974 and 18 others like this.
  9. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Congrats @TIF for that performance : this isn't just coin collecting on your part but modern art happening.
    Hats off !

One of my wins today is a very emblematic ex @zumbly collection coin featuring a severed head. I will show it upon arrival.

The most nostalgic purchase I ever made is the following Otacilia Severa sestertius. I've already posted it in my Cucumbor's six - 2016 review : https://www.cointalk.com/threads/cucumbors-six-2016-review.288012/

[​IMG]
    Otacilia Severa, Sestertius struck in Rome on a medallic flan, 244-245 AD
    MARCIA OTACIL SEVERA AVG, Diademed and draped bust of Otacilia right
    PVDICITIA AVG. Pudicitia seated left holding sceptre
    22.70 gr, 35 mm
    Ref : Cohen # 55, RC #9169

It's a sestertius I had sold to a good friend of mine and a few years later bought back from his mum after he had passed away. I have to keep it

Q

10. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

I remember myself purchasing this coin after a long hesitation. It was big and appealing but really weird whereby I couldn't identify anything. Later, I posted it on CoinTalk where I learned it was an over -struck coin. A new term to me...
    Today I think there's Alexander Balas on the obverse, whereas the reverse had been over-struck by 2 LRBs. That means the coin was over-struck after nearly 5 centuries. Roman over Greek.. Roma seems seated on a throne, so common on coins of Gratian. I can also detect river god swimming.
    I'm glad and satisfied to have bought this "weird" or rare coin. overstruck O.JPG overstruck R.JPG

11. TIF

TIF Always learning.

12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

How you managed the exactly 11 wins is beyond me. I have to wonder if the "generous bid" was $111. I do guarantee that if I were to ever start up an auction house, I'd be certain it would be on January 1 and lot 1 would be a dekadrachm.

All my coins are bought for silly reasons. Ask anyone who does not collect and many who do. I can't pick one silly enough to post here so I'll show #1. It was not my first coin. I collected for quite a while before I started numbering acquisitions in a catalog. When I did, I placed my then 20 Greek coins in alphabetical order and this one came out #0001. All that means is that on that day, I had no coins from Aa or Ab places and did not consider Elis more important as a city name than the League ID. I still have 3/4 of those 20 coins and have never been tempted to dispose of #1 because I like the style of the Zeus head.
    Achaean League, Elis, Ar hemidrachm:
    g51420bb0001.jpg

13. TIF

TIF Always learning.

HA! That didn't even occur to me. It was not intentional, nor was the "generous bid" 111 but had I thought of it, it would have been! :joyful:

I've already agreed to let Zumbly be the first bidder to sign up with your company :D. Hey Z! Better start saving your shekels!

14. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

And deniers. ;)

15. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

Awesome post TIF. Congrats!

I managed one win today. I think I got it for a steal and no conversion or import fees for me!

398137.l.jpg

16. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

I like that one Jay and considered bidding on it. I wondered who picked that up.

Jay GT4, Nathan401 and ominus1 like this.
  17. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Congratulations to all the big winners, esp. to severus Alexander for getting on the auction bandwagon. My best showing ever was, when I won 14 lots in a Stack's Auction back in 1990. I bid low on 24 lots (all AV coins from the 1974-79 Wildlife Conservation Series) I ended up winning 14 of them, all same weight/size as a US Double Eagle. I got all them for under the gold price back then, yet all were perfect proof coins. So, when the invoice arrived in the mail, I was shocked, but happy with my horde. Then reality set in, since I owed a whack of cash for them:( Here is one of them.
    Venezeula/ AV 1000 Bolivares 1975 Birmingham Mint 34mm. 33.98g. .916 79fd2e601c727cbc233605f52a719f4b.jpg
    Peruvian Cock of the Rock
    This coin came from a happier Venezeula, today, after decades of leftwing governments ruinous, corrupt, brutal policies.....its a basket case like Zimbabwe. 79fd2e601c727cbc233605f52a719f4b.jpg

18. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Doug found you a couple extra 1's (that is truly amazing, and even better that it was unintentional!), and I can now add a couple as well.

First, when I looked at the auction stats just now, can you believe that the auction received exactly 1000 bids??! :jawdrop: I kid you not:
    Screen Shot 2018-12-01 at 3.37.30 PM.jpg

I think this is absolutely true, but some are finer than others, and therein lies my additional "one": the bidder who won this coin is 1 of a kind. Thank you so much for all your support and friendship even since I joined CT and especially while I've busied myself diving into the deep end with this auction company. 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 11, 1000, won, for #1!

The force is clearly strong in this 1! :D

Alegandron, ycon, Theodosius and 12 others like this.
  19. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I have never attended an auction in person. But your stats make sense, for an internet auction. When I bid on internet only events, I seem to have better chance to score, then with "room" auctions. In room events, most times the "room" bidder will win. I guess the really serious high rollers attend in person. My coin club friend attended the Triton XIX Adams Coll. auction. He was amazed at the amt. of $ some room bidders where prepared to spend. But, congrats on making your first auction a sweeping success:) It will only grow from here on.:happy:
    John

TIF and Curtisimo like this.
  20. Trish

Trish Well-Known Member

I also enjoyed the AMCC auction. Thanks to CoinTalk for discussing it and leading me to it. I won 2 by proxy. My first two ancients purchased by auction. I'm having trouble finding more info on this Commodus but that's half the fun-the search. Commodus.jpg
    THRACE, Philippopolis, Commodus (179-192), AE22, issued c. 188-192. 4.03g, 21.6mm. Rare.
    Obv: ΑΥ Μ Α ΚΟΜΟΔΟС, laureate head of Commodus, right.
    Rev: ΦΙΛΙΠΠΟΠΟΛΕΙΤΩΝ, Tripod entwined by serpent.
    Varbanov 1106 (R3) Mouchmov, Philip. 240-1; RPC Online Volume 4, #7608
    From the zumbly collection; Ex Dr. George Spradling Collection.
    Diana.jpg A. Postumius A.f. Sp.n. Albinus, 81 BCE, AR serrate denarius. Rome, 3.99g, 20mm.
    Obv: Draped bust of Diana right; bow and quiver over shoulder, bucranium above.
    Rev: A. POST. A.F. S.N. ALBIN, togate figure standing left on rock before lighted altar; ox standing right about to be sacrificed.
    Crawford 372/1; Sydenham 745; Postumia 7.
    From the zumbly collection. Ex Ivar Gault Collection (Vauctions 303, Lot 284); Ex CNG E157, Lot 166 (realized $217)

21. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Both are really excellent scores, especially for an auction first-timer. :) Of the coins that I consigned to AMCC 1, those two are definitely amongst my favorites.

Severus Alexander, Trish and TIF like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted