$1,000 Safe for 104 seconds of Protection!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by princeofwaldo, Oct 11, 2016.

1. princeofwaldo

princeofwaldo Grateful To Be eX-I/T!

Great video from Nevada Safe company. Always figured the real exposure was the safe being light enough to be hauled away. Apparently not.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. princeofwaldo

The hoody was a nice touch don't you think?

4. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Very interesting, thanks for sharing.

5. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

There's a lot of factors that go into choosing a "safe" security vault. And there's a lot of difference in protection - and price - accordingly.

I was close to buying a "Costco Special" and something told me to back out when I was looking at them.

When you do learn enough, you'll probably agree that a bank's Safe Deposit Box (SDB) is your best solution for your coin collection.

Beyond the box itself, a lot of the security comes from protecting access to the box, locating it, and being able to bolt it down to the slab. And of course protecting the home so that you delay their access as much as possible, and slow them down while the cops are on their way.

Security is about layers. First is deterrents (alarm, dog, barred windows/doors, neighborhood watch, etc), next is complexity and obfuscation (misguide them, delay them, confuse them, control movements, frustrate them) and ultimately make the target more hassle than it's worth. Raise their risk/reward ratio enough to where even the stupidest criminal decides it isn't worth it.

My grandfather kept a cheap empty safe in his garage. He was broken into in 1976, and by the time they got into it to steal "nothing" and run off, the police were at his doorstep. They were caught - he lost nothing - although the safe was destroyed. He never did tell me what he was protecting, or where he kept it.

Smart man... or maybe not for advertising the safe in the garage... Makes for a great story though!

6. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Shoot first then send the dogs after them.

Insider, danmar2, BadThad and 2 others like this.
  7. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Right - I find that my AK deters more thieves than my safe does!!

kaosleeroy108 likes this.
  8. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

Not when you're away from the house... That's the problem.

Unless you have one of them guns that does things on it's own? :D The news tells me about these things. :rolleyes:

Maxfli, josh's coins and -jeffB like this.
  9. Markus1959

I NEVER LEAVE - Medical issues - My wife works and I stay at home trying to take care of the ducks!! Hand on the trigger!!

10. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

The banks around here are starting to phase out safe deposit boxes. I haven't run yet into a new branch office that offers them.

11. Markus1959

I'm watching the Cubs get edited beat by SF -
    5-2 what the heck is going on with the Cubs?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2016
  12. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Offense off and bullpen has gone into a slump. Helluva time, huh?

13. Markus1959

Damn, bad time - but Indians lost 2 starters to injuries!!

14. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

Yea only the older larger branches have them

Sent from my C6740N using Tapatalk

15. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

Great reminder

Sent from my C6740N using Tapatalk

16. Speedbump

Speedbump Not a New Member

While the safe in the video may not have been a very good one, the conditions in which the guys are breaking into it were ideal. The "burgers" had the advantage. They were able to get the safe on its back and had an unobstructed area around the safe to get maximum leverage on the door with long pry bars. If the safe was anchored to the floor in a confined area, this would have taken a lot longer and may not have been possible with the tools they were using.

Anchor your safe. A vertical safe reduces a burglar's mechanical advantage.
    Locate the safe in an area that limits leverage on the door. Having the latch/strike side of door up against a wall or locating the safe in a closet for example.
    Get a monitored alarm system. Burglars will not hang around to mess with a decent safe with an alarm going off.

17. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

While both safes and weapons may provide protection, neither one can deter anybody - unless you advertise (outside) that they are present. And if you do that, they would probably serve more as an attractant to thieves than a deterrent.

Arguably the best deterrent to thieves is a sign from an alarm company in the front yard. Even if you don't have an alarm, the sign merely being there serves as an effective deterrent.

micbraun, Paul M. and MKent like this.
  18. jrs146

jrs146 Active Member

My bank just got rid of theirs. They are moving to a smaller location and made everyone empty their boxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. benveniste

benveniste Type Type

If you take a look at the requirements for an UL-rated Residential Security Container, this shouldn't be a surprising result. The "5-minute" test for a USC assumes a single operator and no tools over 18 inches in length. Nevada Safe, of course, knew this when they set up this demonstration.

Is such a "safe" better than nothing? Probably. On the downside, it tells thieves where the rest of the "good stuff" is after they already grabbed the jewelry and drugs. On the upside, it satisfies many insurance companies (at least for firearms) and meets legal requirements in California and several other states. And it's enough to thwart most individual thieves and many less-experienced teams.

So once again, it comes down to "paranoia versus pocketbook." A "real" TL-15 gun safe of the size shown in the video would cost at least $5000 to buy and install. A smaller "real" safe for coin collections is considerably less expensive. So depending on relative value, the different levels of protection may make sense.

Paul M. likes this.
  20. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

We chatted about safes and safe construction in another recent thread ==> https://www.cointalk.com/threads/looking-for-a-safe.284162/#post-2525828

The main thing is if you buy a safe from a local company like Costco, etc then you are just getting a safe box. Thin metals and lower weight to provide security for just basic thieves / nosy family and friends (and friends of those friends).

Getting a real safe that is B-rated would be first on my list for storing valuables. Much better than the misc stuff from Walmart which is mostly for making sure it doesn't burn in a fire.

Paul M. and Santinidollar like this.
  21. princeofwaldo

Funny you should mention the decoy...,, For most collectors their biggest exposure is their lack of anonymity about being a collector. Not that it was ever intentional, but anything with their home address on it that is coin related serves as a calling card for thieves. Mailing lists of coin related organizations and publications are known to have been stolen in years past, serving as a travel guide for thieves out to target collector's homes. Using a post office box for hobby related correspondence is probably the single most important thing a collector can do to protect himself from being specifically targeted.

That all said, anything that can fool a thief into stealing the junk while protecting the good stuff is worth doing. I have an entire coin collection that is a decoy proudly stored on a bookshelf in the den. It's all in 2x2 holders in vinyl pages mounted in 3-ring binders. Very heavy in gem mint state Italian issues from the 1950s....LoL.... (NO, none of the good dates either!). The chances of a thief specializing in world coins breaking in who actually knows the material is junk is pretty slim.

That's not to say that I store my collection at home, because I don't. Like many others mine is in a safe deposit box, and if my bank ever eliminated that section it would be the end of my relationship with them. The whole idea of a decoy for me, is the idea that if a burglar gets in, he can do a tremendous amount of damage ransacking the house if he doesn't find something right away.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
Draft saved Draft deleted