Two more Jefferson Nickel beauties from today

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by stldanceartist, Apr 19, 2014.

1. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Hey again!

So, as I mentioned in a previous thread (Opinions on a 1939 D Jefferson Nickel), I bought about 30 Jeffs from a great DANSCO album today. As I was looking (and enjoying) the others from the group, I noticed two more that stood out. I'd love to hear what you think!

The first is a 1987 P with a great strike, 6 Full Steps (with a nick across the top between columns 2 and 3), and lovely indigo toning starting to creep in on both sides.

1987 P Jefferson Nickel 6FS

1987 P Jefferson Nickel.jpg

The second is a 1944 S with a mediocre strike on the reverse and a wonderful ring of rainbow toning on the obverse. However, once I took a closer look at it, I noticed doubling on the obverse, primarily IN GOD WE TRUST. Took a look at Variety Vista, and I'm pretty confident it's the DDO-001. There is a Master Die Doubling noted for this date/MM, but it's primarily on LIBERTY.

1944 S Jefferson Nickel DDO-001

1944 S Jefferson Nickel DDO-001.jpg

1944 S Jefferson Nickel DDO-001 - IN.jpg
    1944 S Jefferson Nickel DDO-001 - GOD.jpg
    1944 S Jefferson Nickel DDO-001 - WE.jpg
    1944 S Jefferson Nickel DDO-001 - TRUST.jpg
    1944 S Jefferson Nickel DDO-001 - LIBERTY.jpg
    1944 S Jefferson Nickel DDO-001 - DATE.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Okay, forget the 1939-D, that 1944-S DDO is a fantastic coin and the prize of your newest acquisition. That coin has superb eye appeal, gem surfaces, an outstanding overall strike and appearance, and it is a variety coin as well. That is the type of coin that I would want in my collection of Jefferson Nickels. Bravo!

geekpryde and stldanceartist like this.
  4. stldanceartist

Sir, I am blushing.

5. Lehigh96

The only problem is that neither TPG currently recognizes this variety so it will be difficult to extract much value out of the coin unless you find a die hard variety collector.

dwhiz likes this.
  6. stldanceartist

The good news is that I have no plans to sell such a variety, even as I sell off most of the rest of my collection...for this coin bridges the gap between my Varieties collection and my Jefferson Nickels collection. :)

7. stldanceartist

I'd also like to give a shout out to the strike on that 87-P - Probably one of the few business strikes I've seen with all six steps PUNCHED in, including the lower part of the final step, as if done by the mighty hammer of Thor. Shame about that mark in front of Mr. Jefferson's mouth...sigh.

8. Lehigh96

With the hub changes in 1987, the occurrence of 6 full steps became much less rare. However, they didn't perfect it until 1989 and the nickels from 87 & 88 were still scarce in 6 full steps. I have never been a fan of the luster profile of the nickels from the 80's & 90's, but that is just me. Your coin is pretty, gem grade for sure.

9. stldanceartist

Well...just thought I'd resurrect this thread from the dead, as this coin was in the batch I just got sent to NGC. Turns out, they graded it as an MS67 5FS. You sure were right about the gem quality @Lehigh96:

1944 S Jefferson Nickel NGC MS675FS Slab - Obverse.jpg

JPeace$, rev1774, dlhill132 and 7 others like this.
  10. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

11. Mr. Flute

Mr. Flute Well-Known Member

Dittos, congrats.

Payday for you!

12. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Both are extremely nice and I would love to have them in my collection, However, the 1944-S is the cream of the crop.

13. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I'm grateful that you bumped the thread to give me the chance to see this spectacular coin. :)

This one changes the Condition Census for the issue; there are only a couple of 68's and none are Full Steps so this is the highest number you can get on FS in a slab (a few exist in 67+). $5000 coin, if auction results are any indication. It's a flagship coin in any collection.

14. stldanceartist

You are very welcome, sir! I am currently working on a page specifically devoted to my Jefferson Nickels...just have so many the imaging is taking a bit so I can keep it all straight. :)

15. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

Great find,congrats!....

16. Lehigh96

Oh my, so now you have a top pop full step war nickel with a minor variety and impressive rainbow toning. JACKPOT!

I don't know how much you paid for that coin, but it is worth thousands now, congratulations!

stldanceartist likes this.
  17. stldanceartist

I shall never reveal this coin's original cost, because...because the haters. That's all.

But yes, I'm very happy about the current value of the coin...now I just have to find someone who needs one ;)

18. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

If the coin really is all that Lehigh says it is... that should be a very easy task.

19. stldanceartist

I've seen his nickels, so if he's impressed, I'm charging an arm and a leg for it.

Lehigh96 likes this.
  20. stldanceartist

Maybe even two legs.

Lehigh96 likes this.
  21. Lehigh96

I'm not so sure about that Jason. If the coin was in PCGS plastic, I would agree, he could name his price. But the coin is in NGC plastic, not PCGS. And while that solidifies the FS designation, the grade of this coin is favorable to say the least. There is no way this coin crosses to MS67 in PCGS, it just isn't clean enough or lustrous enough.

So Ben has an NGC MS67 5FS that would only be a PCGS MS66 FS which is worth a few hundred dollars. In my experience, most of the fanatical Jefferson Nickel collectors (especially variety collectors) who are willing to spend thousands on a Jefferson want their coins in PCGS plastic. Therefore, Ben is going to have to find an NGC Jefferson Nickel Registry collector who is willing to spend big money. They are out there, but not real easy to find.

That said, the last one of these sold on Heritage yielded $1,762.50.

1944-S 5C MS67 Five Full Steps NGC. NGC Census: (6/0). PCGS Population (29/0)

[​IMG]

And that coin was neither a variety or had any appreciable amount of rainbow toning. I would value Ben's coin in the $2,000 range for a retail price.

Draft saved Draft deleted