Opinions on a 1939 D Jefferson Nickel

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by stldanceartist, Apr 19, 2014.

1. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Hey everyone!

As usual, thank you for your opinions and comments.

Just picked up this 1939 D (Rev of 1940) Jefferson Nickel. Has some great monster color on the reverse with just a smidge of toning beginning on the obverse. Reminds me of those great Lincoln cents from the 60's. Definitely not FS, but enough steps to tell that it's the Rev 40 (straight steps) and not the Rev 38 (wavy steps.) In hand...I'm thinking low MS. Not a shiny coin, but appears as if it's been in an album for a long, long time. Got it in a GREAT Jeff album from a local coin dealer (along with about a full roll of beautiful Jeffs...many with FS.)

Just would like some opinions on grade, eye appeal, and if you think the toning will bring a premium if I list it on eBay... (said with a smirk.) This coin was about half the total cost of my 30-coin roll. If needed, I can take a photo or two with the coin on a slight angle to accentuate the toning (it's much stronger in hand and with the right angle of light.)

Here's the coin:

1939 D Jefferson Nickel.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

I see no reason to think that it's circulated. As far as putting a number with that MS, I'd have to see it in hand. From the pictures, which are excellent, I'd say MS-65. It looks like a very nice coin as far as the eye appeal of the toning.

The Reverse of 1940 accounts for about 75% of the coins extant. The Mint luster is usually good and eye appeal is also generally good. Your coin exhibits both from what the pictures show, and I'd be very happy with this coin.

stldanceartist likes this.
  4. stldanceartist

5. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I think the color is pleasing but certainly would not use the word monster to describe it and I don't think it will drive much of a premium. The obverse strike is subpar evidenced by the lack of hair & queue detail. Although the surfaces are very clean and there are very few marks, that photo gives the impression that the coin is rather lack luster. My first overall impression of the coin was MS63/64 but I have a serious concern about what looks like a diagonal scrape extending from Jeff's shoulder through the collar. To me, this is a good candidate for a mint state album collection. I worry that it might end up in a GENUINE holder if submitted for grading.

CamaroDMD likes this.
  6. stldanceartist

I think I agree with you on the luster - it's generally muted, like it's been in an album for a while. I'm curious what that mark is from his shoulder down to the rim - it's not a scrape, and kind of reminds me of some sort of liquid that dried, like a rinse that dried unevenly. There doesn't appear to be any contact wear/scraping on the surface of the coin.

Also, I try to get the photos to match what the coin actually looks like in hand (as opposed to making the coin look much better than reality...)

Draft saved Draft deleted