THR & Associates

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by tv reporter, May 1, 2012.

1. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

No, THR buys gold. The reporter said someone brought in 18K items, accurately labeled as 18K, and THR said they were 10K or 14K (paving the way for a lower-than-fair offer for the items).

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

Yep... that makes more sense.

4. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

If that's the case, it's going to be tough to prove a crime. I would think the seller has an obligation to know the specifics of what they are selling, and it is normal bargaining for the seller to praise and the buyer to curse the quality and value of what is offerred.

5. Notaliar

Notaliar New Member

You know, whatever you may have found about a THR employee lying about a piece is an isolated incident with a poor manager. THR employees are not told to lie about what a customer has, and I personally never have. It's no reason to bring down an entire company for the bad judgment of a few bad apples.

You are just looking for a sensationalized story for T.V. ratings. I get it. If price is your issue, why don't you go investigate every restaurant who charges their customers $2.25 for a soft drink that costs them under ten cents? On average we pay higher than our competitors, and I don't believe it should be yours or anyone elses business that we negotiate a deal that works for both parties involved. I have worked with many people in this company and never found anyone lying about whether something was gold or not, etc.

We provide a service. Money today! If you want full retail price, go sell it to an individual yourself. We make a profit on what we buy. Look at a check cashing place or a credit card company. They make you pay money for money! Time is money. We take time out of the equation on your end. What that is worth is debatable, and thats where negotiation comes into play. We negotiate the price for OUR services, we cannot make your property more valuable. So when we offer more, we are getting less, but if it's still profitable for the company we will do it. Like using a coupon at Bed Bath and Beyond!

So, before you go slamming a legitimate business, think about what you're really doing. If its rip offs you are protecting people from, the ONLY defense is EDUCATION about the items they have and are wanting to sell, and most importantly COMPETITION. Competition is what drives prices down. If we were the only gold buyer there was we could pay whatever we want for it and get it every time. The more gold buyers there are (and there are a lot more around nowadays) the higher prices we have to pay, because customers can shop around. That's business and believe me, we come into towns and beat local shops prices regularly. That's why THEY don't want us around and lobby to make unconstitutional laws keeping us out. Because THEY want to rip you off and don't want the competiton.

So in conclusion: Nobody has left our shows without receiving a more than fair offer for their items. Any potential fraud must be isolated incidents by either naive managers (that are most likely gone as we have downsized considerably), or greedy idiots who don't understand how to do business (and are most likely gone). The vast majority of THR employees are fair and honest and will never tell you that something gold is not gold. That is stupid and will not get you anywhere anyway. Do we do our best to negotiate a good deal for the company? Of course, so does everybody. But we are no different than any other business trying to turn a profit. Why don't you go investigate the investment bankers, or Wall Street, or the Federal Reserve or something that actually matters? Leave THR to be a part of the competitive gold and silver buying market.

6. Notaliar

Notaliar New Member

True! Although I will never lie about what something is or isn't, WE GET LIED TO DAILY! If someone at THR is guilty of fraud for saying that something isn't gold that is, then fairly, every customer that comes in and lies to us should be subject to the same laws. I've seen fake Gibson Les Paul Customs, coins, gold, etc. Sometimes it's a matter of opinion. If someone came in thinking they had gold and I disagreed and said it wasn't, I wouldn't even make an offer on it. If the customer is sure it's gold, I'm not going to get it for costume jewelry prices, so what's the tactic? It doesn't make sense to do that. It is what it is and you either sell it for a specified amount of money or you don't. End of story.

7. Notaliar

Notaliar New Member

True! Although I will never lie about what something is or isn't, WE GET LIED TO DAILY! If someone at THR is guilty of fraud for saying that something isn't gold that is, then fairly, every customer that comes in and lies to us should be subject to the same laws. I've seen fake Gibson Les Paul Customs, coins, gold, etc. Sometimes it's a matter of opinion. If someone came in thinking they had gold and I disagreed and said it wasn't, I wouldn't even make an offer on it. If the customer is sure it's gold, I'm not going to get it for costume jewelry prices, so what's the tactic? It doesn't make sense to do that. It is what it is and you either sell it for a specified amount of money or you don't. End of story.

Read more: http://www.cointalk.com/t205515-2/#ixzz1xcNZ5wpJ

8. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

But these people are not in business.... I would suspect that the majority of them do not know their items are not genuine. As someone who buys coins and gold for a living I can attest that most of the time people have no idea their pieces are bad.

It's a big difference not knowing that something is bad and representing it as genuine...

It's another to purposely misrepresent something that is genuine as something it isn't especially when you operate in the field... and you hire "experts" that know better.... and you are trying to buy it... and you have the audicaty to come here and call your customers liars... Do you wonder why your company has downsized?

9. chip

chip Novice collector

I take it THR is not a member of the ana, subject to the anas rules regarding ethics?

So how much does your company pay as a percentage of spot price?

10. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Notaliar,
    No matter what you write, you will find no sympathy for THR here.

11. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

I know you don't really believe that. It takes very little research to see right through their false facade.

12. Zlotych

Zlotych Member

Worst thread ever.

13. rickmp

Two outsiders came here to fight.
    Mods, please lock this thread.

14. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

No you don't. The business comes from all the ads and the ignorant not knowing the value of their possessions.. has nothing to do with besting local offers. Funny how there was a news report on this recently, isn't it?

So nobody has left your shows without receiving a fair value... except in certain circumstances? Logic would then dictate that the people you have burned are somebodies, right?

Pay your taxes! Its the right thing to do!

15. Zlotych

Zlotych Member

I say let them do their thing. It's like watching a Jerry Springer episode.

16. thedabbler

thedabbler Member

I'm thinking one outsider came to get information. Then a second outsider came to dispute the anticipated conclusion.

At the moment, it isn't a fight.

In addition, the primary result of the second poster's posts is to raise the visibility of the issue, which doesn't bother me.

I'm guessing that this thread will die fairly soon without being locked.

17. Notaliar

Notaliar New Member

You're misunderstanding my point

First of all, I agree that it's wrong to misrepresent something genuine if you are trying to buy that. I have never witnessed one of our employees doing that. It's bad business and doesn't even make sense as a tactic.

Secondly, the majority of our customers that have no idea what they have or have been told something is something when it isn't are not liars. Scammers who come in KNOWING their stuff is fake or not genuine and make up stories about it and try to get us to bite ARE LIARS! And unfortunately we have to deal with those people everyday. Now, none of those people are going to go to jail for lying to us will they?

I had a guy and his wife try to convince me that they bought this Gretsch White Falcon 30 years ago when it clearly was a reissue less than 6 years old. They wanted 30 grand for it! For a $600 guitar. While the majority of our customers are either honest or naive, that is something we have to deal with. The company has not downsized because of people like me. I made the cut because I'm one of the honest ones. Because of my fair business practices, the company makes money. When the company finds out you aren't conducting business professionally, trust me, you're gone. Don't blame THR as a whole for the actions of a few idiots.

18. rickmp

Maybe even better than that!

I'm still waiting for the food fight.

19. Notaliar

Notaliar New Member

Ok so your source is some sensationalized news report? You know those reports are extremely biased and tv programs are subject to ratings for revenue. Look at the reporter on here trolling to find a "victim" so their story can make sense. I'm not going to argue that there are probably some greedy people running some shows that have not conducted business properly. I suspect most of those people are gone now.

Yes we absolutely do beat local shops prices. I've run many shows with gold buying jewelry stores next door, and regularly beat their prices. Competition is what this country and the free market is based on. Like I said before: If you want to stop the few bad apples from ripping people off, all you need is adequate competition.

To those of you whining about this thread. I am not an outsider. Someone has posted comments about the company I work for and I have every right to defend my position on this thread. It affects me way more than it affects any of you. If you don't like it, read something else instead of crying to the moderators.

20. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Notaliar, the user TV Reporter started this thread over a month ago. Their first post was on May 1st, and their last post was on May 1st.
    They aren't coming back, I'd bet money on it.

One of my issues with this new gold/silver buying industry that's popped up is that everything goes into the melting pot, generally. Numismatic premiums don't exist unless you're selling to a coin shop. And even they melt a lot of the junk silver. From what I understand.
    We're losing a lot of classic coins these days.

21. rickmp

Our source is not some TV report.
    Our sources are long time members of this forum who are
    much more believable than you and your kind or any TV reports.

Draft saved Draft deleted