Post your COPPER bullion...

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by spirityoda, Mar 20, 2014.

1. JohnV

JohnV Active Member

Thanks. I started collecting about a year ago. I only searched 1 box from the bank, the rest of it I got from work, getting about 10-20 cents each day. I also have a bag with a little over 500 wheats.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jordan23mikael

jordan23mikael Silver Junkie

[quoe="JohnV, post: 1887936, member: 46574"]This is all of my copper pennies. 16 rolls and about 20 pounds in the jars.
    View attachment 321354 [/quote]

4. westcoasting

westcoasting Active Member

Picked up this 5 oz. copper round from Provident Metals to get a free shipping deal.
    BullBearCopper2 - Copy.png BullBearCopper1 - Copy.png

spirityoda likes this.
  5. thomas austin

thomas austin Beauty is in the eye of me

I bought 300 oz of copper rounds three years ago and nothing since. I am also a stacker. my question is... is the copper really worth the investment longterm? I totally get the 2.5 value on pennies. The rounds or bars im not sure. Are they large pennies of the future?

6. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

just doing it for fun now. not worried about the future price.

7. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

the way i see it, if your stacking rounds an bars, then copper would need to go above $10 a pound for there to be a profit made...

thomas austin likes this.
  8. Slider

Slider Member

I was going to respond to this thread and say that it was a trick question, as there's no such thing as "copper bullion."

In a word, the answer to your question is no. Obviously, nobody can say for certainty what will appreciate in price and what won't, but people who stack copper are either doing so for fun or because they simply fail to grasp that the bulk of the cost in copper bullion is in the striking of the round, not the value of the metal. The only way for them to convert that copper round back to spendable money without a loss on their investment is to find a bigger sucker or wait until copper prices go up by about 1000%, which will be one heck of a wait.

Even the penny hoarders, where at least the basic math makes sense, are going need an act of Congress before they can even hope to make money on their efforts...The best way to make money on copper is scrap collecting.

9. JohnV

JohnV Active Member

I see this argument being made all the time, and it's not true. It doesn't matter if it never becomes legal to melt pennies, people are still making money already. Most of us who collect copper pennies aren't doing it with the hope of one day being able to melt them down, we are collecting them to sell on ebay. There's plenty of room for profit, even with the price of copper being down.
    Example 1
    Example 2
    Example 3

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  10. Slider

Slider Member

It most certainly IS true, and you're proving my point. You're not a penny hoarder - you're simply making money on the hoarders. Most people are not doing what you're doing - they're hoarding copper pennies in the hopes that the US will end penny production and they'll be sitting on a pile of copper. You're simply taking advantage of the true suckers out there. Who in their right mind would pay a premium on copper pennies when they can pay no premium at all and still acquire the same pennies themselves?

Don't get me wrong - I don't fault anyone for selling copper pennies at a premium. I place the blame directly on the idiots who buy them.

spirityoda likes this.
  11. JohnV

JohnV Active Member

I agree, it amazes me that people are actually paying a premium on copper pennies just because they're too lazy to sort them out themselves.

12. Angelo P

Angelo P Member

I am one of the penny hoarders, but I also don't get why people are buying them when they are readily available for no more than face. Kind of perplexing.

13. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

that's because they are old and lazy and want someone else to separate them out for them.

14. PeacePeople

PeacePeople Wall St and stocks, where it's at

So your belief is old people are lazy?

15. although way overpriced compared to their melt value, copper rounds are still so cheap and they look really cool. I may get a few hundred of them just to look at. Thanks for the pics yall.

16. Slider

Slider Member

If that's all you're doing it for, because they're cool and inexpensive, then have at it and enjoy. But don't ever for a second let yourself believe that minted copper rounds will ever be an investment opportunity in your lifetime. Copper in general is not a store of wealth in the same way that silver and gold can be, but the mintage premium alone on a copper round would require a meteoric rise in the price of copper to make money from them in the future, and that's not going to happen.

17. Yeah I dont think even my grand-kids could even see my profits so I never buy for that reason. I think of it like this: for all the trouble they dug it out of the ground, made a coin out of it and then shipped it and only charge $1-$2 that is fair enough for me. People spend $1.29 on a bag of skittles that they will only get 20 minutes of enjoyment out of. These coppers will be fun to look at until I am an old man. :wacky:
    To say copper rounds are overpriced for its melt value is an understatement.:hungry:

18. Slider

Slider Member

If I saw a design I really liked, I'd probably buy a few to keep as tokens...maybe carry one as a good luck charm in my pocket. They would make a good coin for a coin flip too.

19. yeah thats true. I never thought of that. I carry a mercury dime around in my pocket so I know where you are coming from haha.

20. randrace

randrace Member

My first copper came today. Treasure Island 1oz-ers bought from Provident in order to get free shipping on a recent order. Disappointing scratches on them.

IMAG0263.jpg IMAG0264.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted