Newbie Question about HSN, CoinVault, etc...

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by BobB(MI), Nov 18, 2011.

1. I must say I love Art and Coin TV for its educational value, although I have never actually bought anything DIRECTLY from them. On a couple of occasions I have listened to one of Rick Tomaska's recommendations, done some comparison shopping on Ebay and bought the coin there, instead. For example, I bought a 1973-S Silver proof Ike certified by PCGS as PR69DCAM on Ebay for less than half of what Art and Coin TV was offering it, and for less than what the PCGS price guide listed it for.

Rick did make a convincing case that the coin MIGHT become really valuable someday. Some things you need to watch for are RERUNS from many years previous, though. When they talk about "with silver being at $30, this is a no brainer", it's a dead giveaway, especially when they're pricing the coin the same as when silver was 50% higher than it is now. And while I am a bit of a precious metals bug, I also realize that buying and selling coins, like they do, must obviously be more profitable than buying and holding as they tell their customers to do.

Rick also does say a few things that are technically true, but misleading. For example, quoting low PCGS/NGC population figures as a sign of "condition rarity". It's a Catch 22. When a coin currently sells for a low price, it's often not economical to submit it for grading, possibly making it LOOK as if it's "rare in grade". Unless actual mintage figures support absolute rarity, a rising market may cause collectors to submit the coins for grading, boosting previously low population figures.

I'm considering a strategy that MAY eventually pay off, though. I've been analyzing a number of relatively low mintage commemorative dollars currently available in PR69DCAM certified grade for a relatively low multiple over its silver melt value.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

As a new collector, I watched many of the shows. It helped me learn about coins and I think Art and Coin does the best job of educating. Don Davis repeats himself and I've gotten good at being able to tell what lines he'll repeat. IMO, his stuff is mostly run of the mill, but not much of a premium. HSN is a joke. Overpriced and in a holder that will not garner same prices as NGC or PCGS. Coin Vault, IMO, are the biggest hucksters.

My favorite show is Art and Coin TV. I've actually bought some art from them and got a great price. I think Art and Coin teaches you the most about coins. Tomaska does a fantastic job educating about the half dollars. He's published on the topic, so how can you not possibly learn something. I just with he would be more concise. He drolls on at times about hairlines, etc... Barry is down right amusing. He does know his Morgans! Their prices are always well above retail, but on occasion, you can pick up a nice coin for a decent price.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  4. 2schnauzers2luv

2schnauzers2luv Junior Member

5. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I have to say that I just got satellite last week and have been able to watch a little of Barry Chappell's show.

Wow, what a POS is all that comes to mind really. If you can find a sleazier, more intentionally misleading, lying to your face dealer please keep it to yourself, this one is bad enough.

GoldFinger1969 and definer like this.
  6. definer

definer definitely....! LOL

My wife will occasionally stop when channel surfing because she appreciates my hobby. Invariably, she'll ask me if what he's showing is a good price and then I'll explain why it's not. It helps me help her learn about my hobby and have a better appreciation when I excitedly show her a good deal I got. (of course she never:angelic::rolleyes: sees the bad ones....! ).

green18 likes this.
  7. SilverSurfer415

SilverSurfer415 Well-Known Member

Reminds me of that guy DON WEST on those channel selling sports card...those were good times for me. I remember staying late at night watching him scream and trying to get people to order the cards.

8. mjcoin

mjcoin New Member

U are all well Informed coin collectors but if u are buying coins to make a profit then u better quit our jobs and get a big bank account and fly all over the country and submit at least thousands of coins to eather grading company to get break on costs like big company I have made money on all my coin vault coins also aan auction coins just be patient and hold on to them eBay will seem good but good luck waiting when coins values go up and u are still bidding

9. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

You have made money on coins that you have purchased off of coin vault? Bravo to you. Which coins were they, how much did you pay for them and how long did you have to wait until they were worth more than you spent on them. I am assuming that your profit came with the rising prices of precious metals. If this is the case, you profit would have been much higher if you hadn't paid such a huge premium on the coins to begin with.

10. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I would like to know that too. All I see from the TV coin salesmen are criminally overpriced coins, much of it dreck.

11. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

Is Art & Coin on Optimum TV (Cablevision) ? I don't think it is.

12. Santinidollar

Brand new member who makes one post then vanishes.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  13. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

...and forgot how to punctuate to let us attempt to understand what they are trying to say.

JPeace$ likes this.
  14. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Probably someone doing some free "advertising" since they only name dropped one place

15. Frank MacD

Frank MacD Member

16. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

These T V coin show hosts are like car salesmen, they tell you what you want to hear, this makes you feel good! Their mark-up is high, it has to be in order to pay for their expenses. You can almost always buy the very same item for 50% less on the net or at a show. If you are fortunate enough to know and trust a coin dealer, you stand to do a lot better. Rick Tomaska is no different from other T V hosts, except that he is extremely knowledgeable in numismatics and has vital information for the collector. As far as the other hosts, they,re nothing but bombastic salesmen! As for Rick Tomaska, he can build you a great collection or even the best collection to be had, and many will gladly pay extra for his expert services. I like his presentations as a learning experience but I generally buy coins from trusted dealers or the net.

17. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

I'm too cheap to pay for cable or satellite so I have never watched them.

And so, I have a dumb question: If they are filling thousands of orders a night, from inventory that must be quickly replenished before the next show, how "rare" can that stuff be?

18. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

And that is probably the greatest point to be made, especially for newer collectors.

A dealer long ago told me, (nice man, already way past retirement and just trying to help collectors out), "what you really want to buy is what is NOT in dealer inventory". What this means is high grade, attractive, truly scarce coins. These kinds of coins never stay in inventory for more than a few days. What most dealers have in inventory mainly is common stuff no one else has bought.

Any coins in which hundreds in a night can be sold is not a very collectible coin, with the exception of new modern issues. If its not a coin issued this year and they have hundreds of them in one show it will never be a scarce coin.

19. gibsport

gibsport Active Member

What I dislike most is when a buyer of these coins comes in to try and resell them. All of a sudden, I am the one trying to rip them off by offering far less than they paid for them originally. Guess I really don't feel overall that they aid the hobby.

Dancing Fire and JPeace$ like this.
  20. Stpn2me

Stpn2me New Member

I'm watching Rick Tomaska now. As a new collector, I've always been weary of dealers. Tom right now is talking about the Coins and Chronicles Truman. He's selling it for $420 in the Mint packaging. You can get it on Ebay for $250. That should tell you enough right there..

21. Santinidollar

And the higher the price goes on standard sales outlets, the greater the overcharge.

Draft saved Draft deleted