guideline to posting about a suspected error coin.

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by coingeek12, Apr 18, 2014.

1. coingeek12

coingeek12 Well-Known Member

so, i know i have NEVER found an error coin worth over $2, but i have posted quite a bit on the subject. so i have written this post as a guideline forum for those of you new to posting your suspected error.

STEP 1:
    Do some research before posting about it.
    i know it is hard when you have this auto search engine at your feet and all you will have to do is sit back and answer a few questions. but please, look it up before posting it.

STEP 2:
    Give it i title that says you need help! not something that says you "know" what it is!
    secondly, post what you think it is, and also what you think it would be if its not. Dont forget to tell us were you see it on the coin! that is also very important!

STEP 3:
    post pictures of were you see the error! if your pics are not that good, then scan it. be sure to circle and/or point to the area in question, this is very helpful as well.

STEP 4:
    give lots of info on the coin, were you got it, how you got it, and what it weighs. if possible, maybe even the grade.

STEP 5:
    you have your coin up, great! But how to respond to posts? give them all the info they need on your coin. do not assume they know everything about it, if they want to see the rim, show them the rim. and dont get upset when they say: "your cent is worth: one cent! yeah!"
    so please, do not hide anything, it only makes their job harder.

i hope this does help a lot!
    and for those replying, if you think it is something, let them know you THINK it is that, and to not take it as gospel truth.

~Michael

19Lyds, atrox001 and jaceravone like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

STEP 6: spell check, grammar check, punctuation check...submit. :p

torontokuba likes this.
  4. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

As well as proper use of the 'shift' key. Just sayin'. :D

torontokuba likes this.
  5. torontokuba

torontokuba Thread Crapper & Hijacker, TP please.

Sounds like a 32 year old got under the skin of a 14 year old in a reverse of the "Anyone else fed up?" thread. I share the frustration, but, don't really care if a know it all, knows more than the collective. It's their loss.

http://www.cointalk.com/threads/anyone-else-fed-up.245289/

http://www.cointalk.com/threads/help-with-dime-sized-penny.245705/

No worries, I'm willing to overlook the spelling, grammar, punctuation, etc., but, for the life of me, I'm not clear on the above quoted text...

Those replying should let those asking know what we think, but, we should not take our own replies as gospel truth? That's a little confusing. Truthful replies are preferred, when giving and receiving.

Delusions and figments of imagination can be easily spotted in the majority of any argumentative newbie posts.

6. torontokuba

Now, you're just fishing for likes.;)

19Lyds likes this.
  7. coingeek12

nope, i was really posting this for a guideline thingy, and i said that last part as in "if you dont know what it is, but have a pretty good idea, post it, but make sure you say its only that you think its that and not gospel truth. however if you know what it is, then you would not have to say that.

8. torontokuba

That's ok, I prefer to be told I'm wrong, along with the rest of the group. It makes me feel like I belong.:happy: Looking forward to seeing the day when newbies stick to these rules.

9. coingeek12

ok! :D i really wrote these to make a lot of others jobs easier. mainly so people dont have to deal with asking millions of questions for one answer.

10. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Good solid advice. Thank you.

11. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

Good guideline. If I may make a few small suggestions (you can choose to incorporate or not).

1) yes, do research. Also helps (but is not always necessary) to say where you saw the similar coin. Are you comparing your coin to something over on coppercoins.com, or to some post a random guy made 3 years ago on another forum?

2) Agreed. I'm going to be honest, I will sometimes just skip over threads titled something like "error help". I do realize that a lot of times it is a beginner who just doesn't know what they have. But more often than not, it is a game of guesses because the poster will usually omit what the anomaly is/where they see it. Giving your thread a title like "possible RPM" "is this a DD" or "do I have a lamination error" already provides us with a specific question relating to your coin, and is often much easier to answer.

3) Agreed. Try to take as good pictures as you can. It is not very helpful to say "is this an error" and just post a photo of the whole coin. Circle spots and put arrows if you cannot get close enough to show the anomaly.

4) Yep, ESPECIALLY for coins that you think were struck on a wrong planchet, size (in mm) and weight (in grams) is almost always a must.

5) Give respect, get respect. Don't insult someone just because they tell you it is not an error. First off, it doesn't add to the conversation. It draws the discussion off-topic and does not contribute to attributing your coin. Secondly, it is just rude. You post a coin asking for opinions, then insult those who gave an opinion? Not cool. It makes you look ignorant and unfriendly. Don't expect anyone to help you with future questions if all you do is argue with every person who posts an assessment contrary to yours.

12. coingeek12

sadly, i cant edit it anymore, so i cant rely incorporate it into the OP.
    yes, great advice in this post too guys! :D

13. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

You can copy and paste the original post into a new post WITHIN this thread and make the necessary adjustments.

14. AWORDCREATED

AWORDCREATED Hardly Noticeable

I hate rules. There aughtta be a law against 'em.

coingeek12 likes this.
  15. torontokuba

... aughtta? What did you create here?:happy: Never mind, I got it, ought to.

16. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I might add:

Most oddities and variations on a coin ARE NOT made by the mint and are just damage, but the possibility , although small does exist, so expect the worse and it usually will be the case. If not congratulations.

Draft saved Draft deleted