Help with dime sized penny.

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Donald Danner, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Donald Danner

Donald Danner New Member

image.jpg I found this penny while detecting an older site I hunt( lots of forties and fifties wheats) I can definitely make out the image of Lincoln on the front. It appears that it might be a planchet error, then a laminating error. I just don't know please help, this coins got me dumbfounded.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Donald Danner

Donald Danner New Member

4. Donald Danner

Donald Danner New Member

5. Collector1966

Collector1966 Senior Member

My first guess would be that someone in machine shop had a little fun playing around with a penny.

6. Donald Danner

Donald Danner New Member

7. jensenbay

jensenbay Well-Known Member

Shaved down to fool a vending machine? I have found a couple of those in the past.

8. torontokuba

torontokuba Thread Crapper & Hijacker, TP please.

9. Donald Danner

Donald Danner New Member

I think it was during the making process, no way this coin was ground down. It's to perfectly round to have been done post mint. I think it happened when the wrong planchet was used then causing the rest of the process to be messed up. This one made it out.

10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I don't think so! In the side-by-side, it looks just a tad larger than the dime. Do you have a pair of calipers to measure it? It does look to me like it may have been spooned.

The "making" process is called the minting process. If you know anything about the minting process, you would know that a dime planchet, more often than not, would not be perfectly centered in the coining chamber. Also, what happened to the clad layer? Is this the rest of the process that you think got "messed up"? Once a coin is struck, the rest of the process includes a collection bin and shipping.

You might want to try to find a book from your public library about the minting process.

Chris

11. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

This from a guy who is totally out of his element and making an observation......

In the first photo (shot side by side) the upturned rims look identical to me.

12. doug444

doug444 STAMPS and POSTCARDS too!

The item looks larger than a dime and smaller than a penny; possibly treated with acid? And regarding the "wrong" planchet, what foreign coins has the Mint struck that are penny size or smaller?

13. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

Donald there is no way possible for this coin to have been made this way at the mint. the coin dies are a round solid piece of steel , the dies for the cent coins are much more larger in diameter than your coin and definately would not fit down inside of the raised rim . if it had been struck at the mint the raised rims would have been flattened down level with the field of the coin. I'm about 100% sure that what you have here is what us collectors call a clothes dryer coin because of the raised rims. folks used to cut down cents to make dime size slugs for vending machines but in this case the raised rims would be gone. when coins get's caught up in commercial clothes dryers this is what they sometimes come out looking like.

14. Donald Danner

Donald Danner New Member

I have seen many examples of clothes dryer coins, and this is not one. It is perfectly round as it would be if stamped out by a machine. I'm thinking that during the minting process this coin was stamped out the same size as a dime. Then, because of its size didn't get the appropriate raised rim. Also because of its size didn't get an accurate amount of pressure to the Lincoln die. Finally during the laminating process it received to much laminate cause its planchet was incorrect. I know it's not a dryer coin for sure. If anyone can show me one exactly or closely similar to this one I might change my mind, until then its a minting error.

15. torontokuba

How did the edge or rim get so shiny, while the rest of the coin remains so dark? Minting error?

16. Donald Danner

Donald Danner New Member

Laminating part of the minting process. The laminate wore of the rim over time.

17. Jason Istvan

Jason Istvan Member

18. torontokuba

My input...

spooning210.jpg spooning211.jpg

babygirl and green18 like this.
  19. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

You guys forever educate me........:)

20. Donald Danner

Donald Danner New Member

Not even close, easy to tell with that quarter. I'm still thinking laminating error.

21. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Sorry Donald. There is much about the minting process that you do not understand.

Draft saved Draft deleted