error or damage? washington quarter.

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by bird_man1, Apr 17, 2014.

1. bird_man1

bird_man1 Member

2014-04-17 001 008.JPG 2014-04-17 005 004.JPG 2014-04-17 005 004.JPG mage and if it is a error how much is it worth? 1996 p

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

Coin rolling machine damage.

torontokuba likes this.
  4. torontokuba

torontokuba Thread Crapper & Hijacker, TP please.

Is that the same as counting wheel damage?

5. bird_man1

bird_man1 Member

wcoins thx for the help =D

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  6. Ibuyit2

Ibuyit2 Active Member

image.jpg image.jpg
    Here is one I got back from ANACS with MS details grading because of counting wheel damage! I know I am old and my eye sight is failing but can anyone see the damage?

7. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

No.

Coin Rolling damage is the damage which occurs as the paper wrappers are cinched to the coin roll. Its done in a circular motion and sometimes creates those circular scratches on the coins.

Counting wheel damage occurs as the coin passes under the counting wheel and usually appears as a highly "buffed" area on the coin. Not to be confused with mirrored areas on some uncirculated and fully gradeable coins.

torontokuba and wcoins like this.
  8. 19Lyds

I cannot based upon those photographs. Could it be on the edge of the coin? (Possibly.)

9. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

10. Ibuyit2

Ibuyit2 Active Member

I checked every centimeter of that coin,rims,obverse and reverse and edge with a 7x all the way up to 60 x with a microscope attached to my computer and did not even see a scratch but it's either except it or send it to PCGS or NGC for second opinion!!

11. Ibuyit2

Ibuyit2 Active Member

I see the area you are pointing to but looking at it with coin in hand and under soft incandescent light it does not show up like that, I think the angle that I shot that picture and the lighting exaggerated that area but you may be right! If so they are very picky!! :)

12. 19Lyds

That could very well be the problem.

BTW, if the OP is going to send it to PCGS or NGC, by all means crack it out of the ANACS Slab first.

13. Ibuyit2

Ibuyit2 Active Member

Oh yes! I will not send it in the ANACS slab. I would have sent it to PCGS or NGC to start with but ANACS had a special offer of $10.00 per coin Soooo I gave them a shot! I guess you get what you pay for!!! :)

14. torontokuba

torontokuba Thread Crapper & Hijacker, TP please.

Thanks! So the NGC reference in this topic... http://www.cointalk.com/threads/uncirculated-ngc-graded-ddr-1945p-nickel.245499/ ... and discussion in this topic... http://www.cointalk.com/threads/1941s-fs-503-opinions-on-grade.217310/ ... probably refer to coin rolling damage?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  15. Chris Winkler

Chris Winkler Well-Known Member

So PCGS & NGC are ignoring this damage? I also took advantage of ANACS's great July sale and have a few Franklins with that damage. I would think it helps tremendously as it identifies damage so it can have a proper grade, the reason you sent them to them in the first place? Replies welcome!

16. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Damaged by a coin rolling machine:

Draft saved Draft deleted