Uncirculated NGC Graded DDR 1945P Nickel

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by scotts1, Apr 13, 2014.

1. scotts1

scotts1 Well-Known Member

This is an uncirculated 1945-P nickel that has a double die. NGC identified it as "FS-801". However, it only received an "UNC DETAILS" grade because of an "obverse wheel mark". What would this be worth, and how does the "details" grade affect the value?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

It is really unfortunate about the counting wheel damage on the coin. This is a cool variety and one for which collectors will pay a nice premium. In gem state, it usually sells in the $300-$500 range. Because your coin has minor damage, it will probably trade in the high AU price range $75-$100.

scotts1 likes this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Paul would certainly be the one who'd know.

Chris

5. joseph289

joseph289 Member

i got couple coins with UNC details. I thought a 1969 penny was a double die and it ended up altered color

6. scotts1

Thanks for the quick responses! I bought this at a coin show yesterday and was just curious about it. Good thing I asked - looks like it's worth quite a bit more than what I paid!

7. Lehigh96

The price range I provided was based on the fact that I can't see the wheel damage listed by NGC. The problem is that most collectors shy away from problem coins. In addition, you are talking about a variety coin which automatically has a smaller base of collectors. So while I am confident that there are some collectors out there willing to spend $75-$100 on your coin, finding them is a whole other story.

Can you provide us with a better photo of the obverse that shows the wheel damage? Did you purchase this coin in order to add it to your collection or with the intent of flipping it for profit?

8. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

That makes me feel better, I spent a few minutes looking at the photo thinking I was crazy. If you can't see it, being our local expert in the Jefferson field, I must not be crazy (at least in this particular instance).

9. Lehigh96

In fairness, I don't think that my proficiency has much to do with recognizing counting wheel damage, but I have done research on the subject in the past and do have an example of counting wheel damage.

[​IMG]

The coin shown above once resided in a PCGS GENUINE slab for wheel damage. As you can see, the damage is quite obvious. It may be obvious on the OP's coin, but we are going to need a better photo for sure.

10. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I can see that one clearly...I just don't see it in the other photo. Perhaps you are right...a better photo might clear this up.

11. scotts1

Sorry I'm a little late getting these on, but hopefully they'll help.

Attached Files:

12. torontokuba

torontokuba Thread Crapper & Hijacker, TP please.

Is the wheel mark actually counting wheel damage or coin rolling damage?

Screen shot 2014-04-17 at 6.11.43 PM.png

13. Lehigh96

The slab states that the wheel damage is on the obverse.

torontokuba likes this.
  14. torontokuba

torontokuba Thread Crapper & Hijacker, TP please.

Draft saved Draft deleted