40% Silver

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by sunflower, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

I realize this was a simple typo, but I will clarify it; the 40% bicentennial coinage consisted of quarters, halves and dollars. There were no 40% dimes produced.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CheetahCats

CheetahCats Colonial & Early American

I don't get it... with the exception of "flipping" on FleaBay, why would anyone pay for a 40 percenter, when they're for free? 2 boxes of halves usually nets me around 10...

4. Tom B

You're lucky to find that many. If I search two boxes of halves I typically get four of these.

5. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

Though I have found many in the past, I just searched my 11th box in a row with zero silver.

6. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Alright then I think I have it, so I just have one more question. I bought a 1976 silver bicentennial set with the Ike, the Kennedy and the drummer boy quarter. Are those all 90%? If not what's the breakdown Fifty or anyone else??

7. CheetahCats

CheetahCats Colonial & Early American

I believe all three 40% silver.

8. Hudson James

Hudson James Junior Member

Generally, shop man will only give you a "good deal" of stuff that he wants to move. He can't sell it at market price, you show an interest, he has more than he needs because no one is buying ...ofcourse he will try to entice you into taking it off his hands. His motivation is to get it out of his shop.

9. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

You answered it in the quote you put above your question......"The ones from the 1970's were 40%"

:)

10. fretboard

Wow! That's really something, so would the 1976 silver quarter be the only year they (the U.S. Mint) minted a 40% quarter? :confused:

I took a pic off ebay and it's the exact same set I'm talking about. thanks

Attached Files:

11. Tom B

Yes, it is the only 40% silver US quarter. However, it was made in both 1975 and 1976 with the identical date and design.

12. fretboard

Wow, that's great! :thumb:

13. Pocket Change

Pocket Change Coin Collector

This really hits the question on the head.

Back in the day, when silver was not at $18/oz., you could always count on the face value of the coin.

At $3.35/oz. for silver, the 40% Kennedy half dollar has 50 cents face value and/or 50 cents silver value. If silver gets to $3/oz., you are better off to take it to the bank and turn it in at face value.

1972 was the last year the average price of sliver was under $2/oz.

But as late as 1992, the average price os silver was only $3.75 or so.

14. Pilkenton

Pilkenton almost uncirculated

I've been buying 40% Kennedy's all weekend on ebay for at least .75-$1.00 less what the melt price is. I'll buy them all day long at that price.

15. sunflower

sunflower New Member

@Pilkenton, could you clarify for me please???

Do you mean .75-$1.00 less that spot price per weight, or do you mean .75-1.00 less per the coins melt price?

Thankyou....

16. Pilkenton

Pilkenton almost uncirculated

According to Coinflation today, a 40% half goes for 2.60. So far this weekend, I bought eight of them (one or two at a time). The cheapest one I bought was 1.52 and the most expensive one was 2.12. That includes the shipping and handling. I usually pay up to what the going price is for that day, but they've been giving them away this weekend.

Draft saved Draft deleted