1976 Kennedy half dollar. Is it silver???

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mlj1430, Nov 21, 2013.

1. mlj1430

mlj1430 New Member

Hi, i just joined a few minutes ago and kind of new at the whole coin thing. I wonder if someone can tell me what the heck i have here. I was going through some rolls of Kennedy half dollars. I found a 1976 bicentennial mirror silver colored kennedy half with mirror silver color reeded edge. I thought maybe a proof but NO MINT MARK??????

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

looks heavily polished or plated

4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGG.......hold the coin by it's edges!

5. mlj1430

mlj1430 New Member

Could be?? I started thinking it was chrome plated??? I had a couple of better side pics but wouldn't load them

kaosleeroy108 likes this.
  6. jensenbay

jensenbay Well-Known Member

If it's an "s" mint then it could be a 40% but looks plated to me.

7. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

If you weigh it, you can tell if its silver.

Silver 11.5 grams
    Clad 11.34

8. mlj1430

mlj1430 New Member

i was thinking about the weight, i guess its time to get a scale. Thanks

9. mlj1430

mlj1430 New Member

How much does chrome weigh??? LOL

10. mlj1430

mlj1430 New Member

No mint mark at all, when i firs saw it i thought for sure it would be an S mint

11. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Generally, coins should be held by the edge, but in the case of this particular coin, it makes no difference how it's held. It has no value over face. It's been plated and is NOT 40% or 90% silver.

12. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Still Rick, we must encourage collectors to hold coins properly.......heck, I even hold 2x2's by the edge. devil.gif

13. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

it looks way to shiney for my gritty hands... im going to say its been cleaned and over polishesd

14. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

15. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Welcome to CoinTalk. Of course your question has been answered but it gives me an opportunity to post a link to a previous thread:
    http://www.cointalk.com/threads/ike-dollar-dansco-complete-with-all-proof-issues.223412/#post-1650228

Silver coins in a folder or album can be easy to detect if you view the pages through a piece of tissue paper. The technique has been described here at CT several times. The silver alloy coins appear much brighter when viewed through the tissue paper than do the clad (non-silver) coins. Check out these photos depicting the pages as seen through tissue. :) You can easily determine which coins are silver.
    Tissue  P1.jpg
    Did anyone find this information of interest?

green18, JPeace$ and silentnviolent like this.
  16. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

Silver is the most light reflective element.

17. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Collect89:

That is the first time I've seen that and yes, it was very informative. Thank you for the education!

18. rickmp

That is why it is used to make mirrors.

19. rickmp

A silver plated clad coin will produce the same results.

20. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

Only the proof and uncirculated S mint halves were 40% clad. This looks like a plated P mint.

21. mlj1430

mlj1430 New Member

That tissue thing is so cool!!!! Being new at this i never heard that before and cant wait to try it. Thank you all for your welcome, comments and advice including you Rick for the advice of holding coins on the edge. I know this is basic information but new to me so thanks again for all your advice and patients. Mike

Draft saved Draft deleted