1922 Peace doubled edge reeding?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by silentnviolent, Dec 29, 2013.

1. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

I got this Peace dollar for $22 from a bin at a shop I went to. For being in the cheapo bin, I picked it out because it was the only one that retained full luster. I think its AU.
    While looking closer at it later I noticed what appears to be a second set of reeding along the W and SW just inside the rim on the reverse. 3rd photo is a closeup. It appears to match the bumps of the outer edge reeding exactly. What is this called?

059.JPG 060.JPG 061.JPG

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

this is called collar clash

silentnviolent likes this.
  4. silentnviolent

So this is a VAM of some kind?

5. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

VAM 1W

6. silentnviolent

7. silentnviolent

8. silentnviolent

9. BUncirculated

I don't really know because according to VAM World, where I got that VAM from, according to the graded grid there are none certified in any grade.

EDIT] I'm thinking since it's not listed on the Rarity Scale, it must be a common VAM.

10. silentnviolent

I see it was only recently discovered (2012).

11. BUncirculated

Which might explain why there is no photo on VAM World for it.

You should send them your photo, and see if they agree that's the 1-W VAM. Their description, fits your coin to a tee, the doubled reeding under the tail.

silentnviolent and green18 like this.
  12. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

For what it's worth, VAMWorld members have not been updating some of the most recent census information to go with the VAM descriptions ever since the SSDC Registry was created.

Chris

13. Jral1

Jral1 Member

I have seen tons of effects like these on coins. Mostly on dimes and cents. Im into modern coins and error coins mostly because thats all i have thats about it. I know the experts have already 'figured' this out. I still am not sure because more then one idea has been almost figured out and no one usaully seems that sure or there are mutliple cause' es that because this. I think the cause is a little piece of cladding or metal from the proto rim gets queezed inbtween the die and collar and is trimmed off or sticks to the hammer die. Probably because the planchet was 2 or three bits wider then the collar or was a few bits off center. Thats why it mimmicks the reading on reeded coins sometimes. Then when the next coin is struck it is impressed onto the proto rim and ultimatly gets fromed onto the rim of the coin. Maybe thats why other coins seem to be missing a few bits off their rim. Both effects are very common id say it adds little to NO value to your coin unless this doesnt happen commonly on these coins like it does on others as you know. Like i said Im only into modern and error coins. I know you dont value my opinion but others might. No need for any more comments thank you much and have a nice day.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  14. Jral1

Jral1 Member

That could be one way im sure there are others.

15. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

No.

jay4202472000 likes this.
  16. Jral1

Jral1 Member

Thats also probably why the coins look like they were Miss Aligned sometimes/usually.

17. Jral1

Jral1 Member

Then you explain it. LOL

18. silentnviolent

19. Jral1

Jral1 Member

I have had a couple of them that had proper finning around the part of the rim. They are cool because they look like a curved mountain top range since the peak of the finn gets ding up in circulation creating many smaller peaks like a range of mountains.

20. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

It's a collar clash. Rascal said it, the VAM site said it. Occams Razor....the simplest explanation is also often the most likely explanation. The collar die clashed with the dies, and then the dies struck some coins.

21. Jral1

Jral1 Member

Draft saved Draft deleted