Zumbly's Top 10 Favorites of 2017

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by zumbly, Dec 13, 2017.

1. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Okay, 2017 is a wrap for me, too!

My Top 10 list comprises 4 Greek, 3 Roman Provincial, 2 Roman Imperial and 1 Roman Republican... which quite appropriately covers my collecting interests at this point. Some of the coins that appear here have long been on my want list, and others turned out to be completely unexpected additions. I won't say I've had a better coin-year than I did last year, but I will say that every year in this hobby and with this little community here on CT is a great one. Thanks for having me aboard! :)

#10.
    PHOENICIA, Arados. 420-400 BC. AR Stater.
    10 Phoenicia Arados - AR Shekel Galley 2250.jpg

Thanks to its elongated oval flan, the galley side of this Aradian stater is almost perfectly complete. The other side with the head of Ba’al-Arwad, however, is honestly quite awful. When it comes to ancients, the perfect and imperfect often collide to make in a single, unmistakably unique coin. I love it when this happens, and that's why this coin ended up edging out some prettier purchases to make it onto my Top 10 list this year.

#9.
    PHRYGIA, Hierapolis. 2nd-3rd centuries AD. AE29.

The Abduction of Persephone by Hades
    09 Phrygia - Hierapolis Abduction of Persephone.jpg

I really like Roman provincials that have picturesque reverses, and none more so than those with mythological types. I find these coins as evocative now as they must have been in the 2nd or 3rd century when they were minted and used by the Greek citizens of the Roman Empire. This large bronze from Hierapolis is one of those, and it tells the tale of hapless Persephone, daughter of the goddess Demeter, who was pursued and spirited away into the underworld by a relentless Hades. It's a worn coin, but I think the dusky uncleaned deposits highlight the devices very nicely.

#8.
    ANTONINUS PIUS. EGYPT, Alexandria. AE Drachm.

"Helios in Leo"
    08 Antoninus Pius - Drachm Zodiac Leo Helios 2248.jpg

The "Zodiac series" of coins, struck at Alexandria in Antoninus Pius's 8th regnal year to mark the renewal of the Great Sothic cycle, is one of the most sought-after of all Roman Provincial coins. This drachm is a decent but modest example of the most common type found in the series, but it's also my first and I was over the moon when I was able to buy it. The rarer types in the series get obscenely expensive even in poor condition, so I'm not holding out hope that I'll be able to make a complete set of these, but I'll be on the look out to buy what I can afford.

#7.
    ROMAN REPUBLIC. Mn. Cordius Rufus, 46 BC. AR Denarius.

Symbols of Minerva
    07 RR - Cordius Rufus Helmet 2076 new.jpg

RR coins made up under 5% of the additions to my collection in 2017, but I was really pleased with a few of them, most of all this one, the only RR I have on the list. It may not look like much, with its bankers' marks, faceless owl and slightly off-center strike, but I'd argue that it's in the top ten percent of this quality-challenged issue. But apart from that, why do I like this coin? C'mon, there's a cute little owl perched on top of a helmet on one side, the wonderful toning, and what about those meticulously-engraved scales on the aegis of Minerva!

#6.
    MAXIMIANUS. AR Argenteus.

Early Campgate
    06 Maximianus - Argenteus Victoriae Sarmatica 2326.jpg

I really didn't set out to buy it, but this argenteus somehow just drew me in with its invitingly open-doored campgate reverse, high-relief portrait, sharp details, and the finest, mintiest silver the Empire had produced in over 200 years. I was simply unable to say no!

#5.
    CALABRIA, Tarentum. 400-390 BC. AR Nomos.

Ex Michel P. Vlasto Collection
    05 Tarentum - Nomos Vlasto 2073 new.jpg

This 'dolphin-rider' of Tarentum is not the highest grade example I own, nor is it even one of the more interesting varieties, but with the 'flipbook animation' doublestriking on the obverse, I think it's an excellent coin with loads of character. On that alone, it easily made my Top 10, but I have it ranked this high on the list because of its provenance to the Vlasto collection, which is THE pedigree when one speaks of coins of Tarentum. It's illustrated as plate coin 339 in “The Collection of Tarentine Coins Formed by M.P. Vlasto”, the standard reference work for the coinage of Tarentum. It’s now proudly also coin 4 in Zumbly's Doug's Dozen* of Tarentum.
    *Twelve coins that Doug allows to be purchased to adequately cover a series of coins :D

#4.
    CILICIA, Tarsos. Tarkumuwa, Satrap. Circa 375 BC. AR Stater.

SNG Levante plate coin
    04 Cilicia Tarsos - Stater Tarkumuwa new 2325.jpg

My interest in Cilician coinage has been growing over the past year or two, and this Tarkumuwa (Datames) stater is a welcome acquisition. It's a numismatically important issue, its seated satrap reverse bearing a striking resemblance to the 'seated archer' reverses of Parthian coins beginning some 150 years later. And as for the coin itself, while the obverse die used shows some wear and damage, the reverse is quite excellent. I also give it bonus points for the countermark, which was struck with such force that it flattened and deformed the edge of the coin. I suppose this is one of those coins whose character is a bit of an acquired taste, judging from the fact that its sale records show it's been thrown out of various collections four times in the past 14 years. Maybe it'll get lucky this time around and find a more permanent home? I like its chances.

#3.
    MACEDONIA, Roman Protectorate. 167-149 BC.

First Meris Tetradrachm
    03 Macedon - First Meris Tetradrachm.jpg

Putting aside the 'coins of character', I go full-out shallow with this beautiful First Meris tetradrachm. Struck in Macedonia shortly after it was conquered by the Roman Republic, it's an interesting issue in a few ways, but I have to admit that the reason why it's ranked this high on my list is because of its looks. They're common coins and not especially pricey for big silver, but the style of the bust of Artemis on this example is uncommonly exquisite. Its condition allowed for it to fall within my sights and I was really happy when I won it for a reasonable price.

#2.
    JULIA DOMNA, with Caracalla and Geta. AR Denarius.

"AETERNIT IMPERI"
    02 Julia Domna - Denarius Caracalla Geta 2576.jpg

Roman dynastic issues have never been particularly high on my list of must-haves. That this one is number 2 on my year-end list shows that my previous thoughts about them clearly need some re-evaluation. Of course, a dynastic issue depicting two brothers who hated each other as much as Caracalla and Geta did is automatically going to be more interesting than any featuring family members who got along. And then, there's the sense of poignancy evoked by it having a serene portrait of their mother, Julia Domna, on the obverse. It's a wonderful historical coin, but all the more powerful for the personal story behind the three people who appear on it.

#1.
    CARIA, Stratonicaea. Caracalla [with Geta]. AE36.

Damnatio of Geta
    01 Caracalla - Stratonicaea AE36 Geta Damnatio 2594.jpg

After Doug showed the example that he acquired earlier this year, I promptly put this type on my want list, not at all expecting that I'd be picking up one of my own quite so soon. That it's landed right at the top of my favorites list for 2017 may have something to do with it being one of my last purchases of the year, but more likely, it's because a damnatio issue of Geta is the perfect companion piece for my #2 coin in telling the story of Caracalla and Geta's bloody rivalry. Both coins were struck with portraits of both brothers, but this one got a recall and some special treatment after Caracalla had Geta murdered. It's wonderfully ironic that having Geta's face scraped off the coin, the intention being to erase for posterity the evidence of his existence, has in fact done nothing of the sort, but also made both him and the coin all the more interesting.

That's it! And now, I'm just counting down the days before 2018's list opens up for business... :D

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Very sweet stuff and great pics. 7 looks great!

zumbly likes this.
  4. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

I like them all @zumbly but the First Meris tet and RR denarius are the ones that stand out to me. The eye appeal of both those coins is top notch. Congrats on such a great year and top ten list.

zumbly likes this.
  5. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Lovely coins Zum!

zumbly likes this.
  6. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

I love your #1 and now it’s on my radar too. Great list all around.

zumbly likes this.
  7. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Wonderful!!!:)

Once again your generalist focus and your numbered preferences matches my own. I LOVE 'em all:hungry:

zumbly likes this.
  8. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Great coins, Z. I like #10 & #2 best.

zumbly likes this.
  9. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

All of them great:)
    The Cilicia Stater is very intriguing (don't believe I have ever seen it before, unusual and interesting design).
    I agree, the bust of Artemis on the Macedonian tet is really nice.

zumbly likes this.
  10. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Thanks for all the comments, everyone. The end of the year lists are an annual highlight for me on CT and I’ve enjoyed all the ones posted so far. I think we’re still waiting on a few that will undoubtedly feature their fair share of awesome coins.

FitzNigel likes this.
  11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

My favorite is your #2 but your #1 certainly is a better coin than mine of the type. #4 is quite special as well with less damage than usual from the countermark and no test cut so often seen on these. Actually there are ten winners out of ten here!

zumbly likes this.
  12. alde

alde Always Learning

Great coins. I love number 3.

zumbly likes this.
  13. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

They're all nice coins, to hard to pick a favorite.
    Although, I am drawn to that Cilicia stater

zumbly likes this.
  14. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Great year Z! I like the satrap stater the best :)

Here's how I would order the top 5 if they were in my 2017 collection (a guy can dream right ;))

zumbly likes this.
  15. Carausius

Carausius Brother, can you spare a sestertius?

Agree. This is a tough type to find well-centered and well-struck. Nice example! I'm still looking for mine.

zumbly likes this.
  16. TIF

TIF Always learning.

SO hard to pick favorites from this group!

The galley on your Phoenician looks so modern. It wouldn't look too out of place cruising on the Mediterranean today.

I'm thoroughly jealous of your Abduction of Persephone bronze. Great coin! Definitely worthy of the top 10, or top 5 :)

Your Zodiac drachm is better than most-- definitely better than my Leo!

APi-Zodiac-Leo.jpg

The Cordius Rufus is remarkable for many reasons but what makes me ooh and ahh are those meticulously detailed scales on the aegis. Marvelous!

Maximian argeteus: superb!

What your Tarentum nomos lacks in quality it makes up for with pedigree. Jealous! :D

My eyes slid past the Tarsos stater at first but upon reading what you wrote and taking a closer look... dagnabbit, now I want one! :shifty:

The First Meris tet... well, who doesn't love those! You held out for a fantastic example. Congrats :)

The dynastic Domna, well of course that's in the top ten :)

Geta damnatio... what an unexpected and fabulous find.

Great year, Zbro!

I hope to catch up on and comment on everyone's year-end list sometime this year :D. I should be able to post mine around Christmas.

TJC, ominus1, Johndakerftw and 8 others like this.
  17. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Some outstanding additions. I'm a bit torn about my preference for the RR Rufus or the dynastic severan. I think I would put them # 1 ex aequo

Q

zumbly likes this.
  18. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Man, @zumbly , I always have fun watching your coins... fun stuff, Dude! I cannot tell you which one(s) I like best. They are just fun. I seem to dabble in other coin areas, and it is YOU among a few others, that seem to inspire me to get something from the coins you have. I really don't have Phoenicia, Phrygia, Argenteus denom, Tarentum, etc...

How about I toss out the Roman Occupation Quaester JUST after yours... It tain't a Tet, but I have always like the As denom.

upload_2017-12-13_15-50-39.png
    RR Roman Occupied Macedonia Gaius Publilius, Questor Amphipolis Mint AE26 As ROMA Griffin MAKEDONWN TAMIOV GAIOV POPAILIOV oak wreath BCE 148-146 SNG COP 1318

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    TJC, TIF, chrsmat71 and 8 others like this.
  19. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Zumbly, you had a great coin year, congratulations on your fine additions. I wish you even a better 2018! Thanks for showing them!

zumbly likes this.
  20. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

GREAT pickups!

zumbly likes this.
  21. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

I especially love the artistry on the Persephone (looks like a scene from a ballet!) and the 1st Meris, the numismatic significance & aesthetics of the Datames reverse, the incredible campgate on the Max, and the ton of history that comes with #2 and #1. What a great year you had!!

zumbly likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted