Z's Top 10 Pickups of 2014

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by zumbly, Dec 26, 2014.

1. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Well, 2014 was my second year of seriously collecting ancients, and as a result of the inspiration found here on CoinTalk, my interests have expanded to include not just Roman Imperial coins, but also Roman Republican, Greek and beyond.

I really love the great majority of the 160ish coins I bought in 2014, so having to pick my 10 favorite and leaving the rest to sulk in their flips was not an easy task, but dammit, I do like coming up with lists :). Actually, to be honest, picking the top 5 was easy, it was the next 5 that was really hard...

Anyway, I think this virtual tray represents the diversity of coins that I've come to enjoy for their antiquity, historical significance, beauty, and individual uniqueness. And perhaps more importantly, they're the ones that I'm still giving myself a pat on the back for :D.

tray-top10-b.jpg

In addition to the coins themselves, it's been an absolute blast being able to share this hobby with everyone on this forum. CoinTalk continues to be a great place to share coins, and an even better one to learn about them. Thanks everyone, and thanks CoinTalk Management!

For 2015, I have two words : MOAR COINS!!!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Hard to pick a favorite from such a beautiful group, but I think the Juba has to be near the top.

zumbly likes this.
  4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

A great haul! Not sure which I like best, the Corinth stater with chimera or the A-Pi as. Or another :)

zumbly likes this.
  5. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

It's great to have you on the forum Z, you also have awesome coins, can't wait to see what you pickup in 2015, love your top 10...:)

spirityoda and zumbly like this.
  6. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Sweet coin-spread, Z!!

They're all super cool, but my favourite is definitely the lil' freak in the bottom right-hand corner!!

=> bring-on the Thasos Trihemiobol

zumbly likes this.
  7. zumbly

Thanks, Eng, me too!

He may be a lil freak, and a johnny come lately to boot, but he sure muscled his way into my top 10!

stevex6 likes this.
  8. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I don't do ancients yet, but #3 really looks cool to me :cool:. what does MOAR mean ? ancient ?:nailbiting: guessing.:eek::D

zumbly likes this.
  9. zumbly

Sorry, it's not really an ancient term, a little modern actually. This would be another appropriate context for its use...

8d6.jpg

spirityoda likes this.
  10. Andy Kim

Andy Kim Member

Really nice Collection.

MY FAVORITE IS THE JUBA!

zumbly likes this.
  11. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Some sweet looking coins. Really hard for me to choose a favorite but that Corinth Stater has to be one of my favorites.

zumbly likes this.
  12. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

great coins Z! i think my fav is the corinth stater, but festival of isis coin is great ...what a strange cool coin, as is the little thasos coin.

...and jubaa ii.

....and all the rest.:headphone:

zumbly likes this.
  13. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

All are great but I do consider the first three over the rest.

zumbly likes this.
  14. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Those are magnificent coins, Z, each and every one!

zumbly likes this.
  15. zumbly

Thanks for the compliments, guys, have a coinin' great 2015!

stevex6 likes this.
  16. Whizb4ng

Whizb4ng HIC SVNT DRACONES

I don't know what to say about your top 10 from 2014 other than 'Can I have them?' but I don't think that is appropriate. I don't remember you posting your APius As when you got it which is a shame because I would have stared at it constantly. It is a fantastic coin and the Corinth Stater is always a coin that is super high on my wishlist plus it has the super cool Chimera.

All the best in 2015!

zumbly likes this.
  17. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Nice nice! Yeah, hard to pick but the AP is my favorite.

zumbly likes this.
  18. zumbly

Thanks! You're right, I never did give the A-Pi a separate post, though it was already my #1 when we had a Favorites of the First 6 Months thread. Speaking of which, just looking at that thread again and comparing it with the Final Top 10s that others have posted is pretty interesting.

It's probably not surprising, but my #1 from 2013 also comes from the same series of A-Pi coinage celebrating the 900th anniversary of Rome's founding. It was also the first coin I ever posted on CT :).

antoninus pig400.jpg
    ANTONINUS PIUS
    AE As
    11.02g, 28.6mm
    Rome mint, 143 - 144 AD
    RIC 733; C 450
    O: ANTONINVS AVG PIVS P P TR P COS III, laureate head right.
    R: IMPERATOR II S-C, Great Sow seated right under holm-oak, suckling three young, another before, SC in ex.

Curtisimo, stevex6, TIF and 2 others like this.
  19. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Sweet coin Z.:)

zumbly likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted