Z's Top 10 of 2015

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by zumbly, Dec 11, 2015.

1. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

I may have a few more coins to pick up before the year is out, but as none are likely to threaten my Top 10 of 2015, I'll just go ahead and post the final list. In any case, 10 is just a convenient number to show; I like many coins ranked 11 - 20 almost as much as those in the following list, and next month a few could easily swap places.

2015 was a great year in this hobby for me, not just in terms of the acquisition of knowledge and coins, but also by being part of the community here at CoinTalk. I've not been around as long as some other members, but it's been truly rewarding to see it go from just a part of the combined World/Ancients forum, to being split into its own category, and now become what is probably the busiest forum on the whole board, and IMHO, the best place to share and talk about ancients on the internet. So, with thanks to Peter and the mods, and members of the ancients forum both old and new, here are my Top 10 coins of 2015!

10. MARCUS AURELIUS - AE Sestertius
    Rome mint, AD 173
    upload_2015-12-11_16-20-41.png
    This coin's attraction for me was its (possible) link with the so-called Rain Miracle of Marcus Aurelius's campaigns against the Marcomanni and Quadi. It's an interesting temple reverse to accompany an interesting story. The type is fairly scarce, and that I managed to score an example this year was a bit of a miracle too - it came up for auction at a venue I rarely visit, but for some reason I decided to check in on it just a few days prior to the sale. I spotted this coin, put in a bid, and won it.

9. ELAGABALUS - AE28
    PHOENICIA, Tyre, circa AD 218-222
    upload_2015-12-11_16-21-7.png
    ... and then there are those you need more than a miracle to get your hands on. When these turn up, they're almost always in abominable condition, and even then they're collectable enough that you're likely to face some competition if you want it. The reverse scene of this type shows Queen Dido supervising her minions in the building of Carthage. How cool is that? This particular example is Ex TIF Collection. How cool is THAT?

8. ROMAN REPUBLIC, C. Hosidius Geta - AR Denarius
    Rome mint, 64 BC
    upload_2015-12-11_16-21-17.png
    I wish I could take credit for handpicking this coin, but it came to me as part of a particularly great group lot I bought. The Calydonian boar totally dominates here... it's beastly, bristly, and looks ready to charge off the coin and cause a bit of carnage. Watch out, bacon lovers!

7. SICILY, Syracuse - AE Dilitron
    Timoleon and the Third Democracy, circa 336-317 BC
    upload_2015-12-11_16-21-26.png
    Another nice surprise found in a group lot purchased early this year. I had to treat it for some scattered surface BD, but underneath that I found this magnificent head of Zeus. It's a solid example of an unusually artistic series of Greek bronzes issued at Syracuse during Corinthian general Timoleon's de facto rule.

6. ROMAN REPUBLIC, C. Cossutius Sabula - AR Denarius
    Rome mint, 71 BC
    upload_2015-12-11_16-21-43.png
    Who or what exactly is being celebrated here on the obverse of a coin of the Roman Republic? Some say it's Elvis, but conventional thought is that it's the winged head of Medusa. I've read no actual theories on why the moneyer chose the pairing of the beautiful Medusa and Bellerophon riding Pegasus on his coin, but I find the results quite bewitching.

5. THE TRIUMVIRS, Mark Antony - AR Denarius
    Military mint (Patrae?), autumn 32 - spring 31 BC
    upload_2015-12-11_16-22-13.png
    Several members whose opinion I sought have already seen this coin, but otherwise, this is its first showing on CT. It celebrates Antony's Praetorian Cohort, and is one of the more desirable varieties in his legionary series. The details on it are nice and well-preserved, but at the same time, the fabric of the coin demonstrates how the base the silver alloy for these issues could become... let's just say it's not what you'd call 'good metal'. Plate coin bonus : this example illustrates Sear 1483 in David Sear's Roman Coins and their Values, and that really is its own kind of neat.

4. SIKYONIA, Sikyon - AR Stater
    Circa 431-400 BC
    upload_2015-12-11_16-22-22.png
    I love everything about this coin - the tone and reticulation of the silver, the abundance of animal anatomy in the chimaera (goat's beard and fore limbs, lioness's teats, snake's head), the die engraver's work on it, and even the light graffito on the reverse showing that someone in this coin's past had marked it as their own. After seeing the great examples that some here have shared, it's good to finally have one of my own :).

3. COMMODUS - AE25
    MOESIA INFERIOR, Marcianopolis, circa AD 178-180
    upload_2015-12-11_16-22-35.png
    The Three Graces, the original party girls of the Greek pantheon, demanded appropriate representation in my collection, so I was relieved when I managed to win this very pleasing example that depicts them in all their divine willowiness. Ok, so perhaps they look a tad anorexic, they still supermodeled this coin into Marcianopolis Illustrated (aka Hristova & Jekov's Coins of Moesia Inferior I-III c. A.C. Marcianopolis). Even Commodus seems to be looking on appreciatively :D.

2. AUGUSTUS - AR Denarius
    Moneyer's series, Rome mint, 19-18 BC
    upload_2015-12-11_16-22-49.png
    I suspect my top two shows my shallow bias for Roman Imperatorial and early Empire. I've wanted one in silver for some years now, and while this may not be what some consider a classic Augustus portrait, it really beckoned to me. That, a nice deep strike, lovely cabinet toning, and my being a sucker for coins with Pegasus on them made this coin just about irresistible to me.

1. JULIUS CAESAR - AR Denarius
    Rome mint, Feb - Mar 44 BC
    upload_2015-12-11_16-24-59.png
    Technically a 2014 purchase, but after a 3-month long trip around the world, I only received it into my collection in 2015. Quite apart from it being a stonking Julius Caesar portrait denarius, it has that incendiary legend, CAESAR DICT PERPETVO, that makes me believe it is the perfect companion piece to the EID MAR I'll never own.

So that's my list... I feel grateful for the coins and camaraderie. Even if 2016 turns out to be only half as good, it'd still be a good year!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

They're all great... And i agree with your #1 and #2. I still don't have a Julius Caesar portrait, and if i'm going to get one, that's the type.

zumbly likes this.
  4. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

# 8 and # 5 outstand the series
    That boar is fantastic, and, for once, the little bit of off centering adds some movement to it, as if the boar had already started to run out ouf the flan
    The MA denarius is great too despite the "quality" of its metal

My # 3 would be your # 7

Congrats on a very good selection and for sharing them

Q

zumbly likes this.
  5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

What a great year you had! The JC portrait coin is my favorite but not far behind are Sabula, Marc Antony, and others.

As usual, your writing style and blurbs are also very enjoyable :).

zumbly likes this.
  6. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

Wow! Zumbly, 2015 has been good to you indeed. My favorites are the JC portrait coin and the Marc Antony legionary denarius. The detail on that coin is spectacular!

May 2016 be as good for your collection as 2015 was. You have set the bar rather high...

zumbly likes this.
  7. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

You have had a fabulous year Z, I hope 2016 is equally good for you. I love all those coins and would be hard pressed to put them into any order :D

zumbly likes this.
  8. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

I can see why these coins made your top ten, especially the denarii. That J.C. is superb!

zumbly likes this.
  9. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Excellent Z.

zumbly likes this.
  10. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Very nice captures Zman!

zumbly likes this.
  11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Of the various lists published, this is unusual to me in being hard to place in an order. I see much to like about all ten and would have a very hard time ranking them within.

zumbly likes this.
  12. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I'm with Doug on this - the selection is so eclectic it's a case of apples and oranges. They all deserve the #1 spot for one reason or another. You have great taste Z!

zumbly, Mikey Zee and TIF like this.
  13. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

awesome picks Z, love that boar! is that a spear in its back? so cool...

zumbly likes this.
  14. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

As much as I want a portrait caesar, the Hosidius Geta is my favorite of the bunch. Of course it's due to the portrait. Second would be the Commodus.

zumbly likes this.
  15. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Like everyone else, I absolutely LOVE all you posted....I could spend years changing the rank of which I LOVED most and still change my mind...so how about 1a, 1b etc etc ---all tied for first!!!

Just a FANTASTIC group!!!!!

zumbly likes this.
  16. zumbly

Thanks for the kind comments, everyone. Ranking the coins on the list was tough, but I did want to put them in some order and this is about right. Most of them shuffled places, some a few times, and a couple continued to do so even in the last day or two. Does it really matter ultimately? Probably not, but I'll take any excuse to look at my coins again and waste some more time on them... :)

17. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

zumbly likes this.
  18. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Z-bro, Z-bro, Z-bro!! ... why is it always about Z-bro!!?

jan brady a.jpg

Yah *whatev* ... okay fine, I must agree that your 2015 collection kicks fricken arse (oh, and I'm glad that you've learned a few tricks from your cool northern brother!!)

:woot:

just jokes => you rock!! (there ain't a dawg in that litter!!)

Ummm, I'm gonna give you my Favourite-3 (you were sweet and gave my coins a second look and I really appreciated it, so back-atcha, my cool friend)

My #3 choice => (is your #10 example) nice cockerel
    [​IMG]

My #2 choice => (is your #1 example => creepy Julius Caesar) ... yah, I don't have an example and I'm totally jealous of that baby!![​IMG]

My #1 choice => (is your #7 example) ... man, I love the animal coins and "especially" the sweet Syracuse examples, so I am endorsing your sweet Horse example!![​IMG]

... again, you've learned a lot from me (okay fine ... I can't keep a straight-face!!)

=> you absolutely rocked 2015!! (congrats on that sweet bulk-buy and congrats on a stellar year!!)

Z-bro => thanks for an entire year of great coin-fun!! (you are one of my best coin-friends => oh, and introducing me to BABYMETAL alone gets you a definite Top-3 rating) ... I love ya!! (I owe ya)

Man, that never gets old, eh? (gawd)

Cheers, brother

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
    Eng, chrsmat71, zumbly and 3 others like this.
  19. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

great list Z, i think you knock it out of the park on each one.

i LOVE the zeus bust on 7.

i LOVE the 3 graces...hot.

pretty much all of them would take the #1 spot on my list.

zumbly likes this.
  20. zumbly

More true than you may think! I'm still learning and think I've some way to go before I come close to developing your discerning eye for winners. Thanks for voting your favorites, I do love them all... this ol' hobby of ours is pretty fantastic, eh.

stevex6 likes this.
  21. zumbly

Thanks! The Staal book is somewhere on my to-read list, despite having seen at least one poor review of it (I think by Oliver Hoover, who had all kinds of criticisms of it big and small).

Draft saved Draft deleted