zloty rynsky anyone?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by rtatchyn, Sep 21, 2005.

1. rtatchyn

rtatchyn New Member

Dear everyone,

I am seeking information on a 19th century coin called the zloty rynsky.

I believe it was Czechoslovakian and circulated in Eastern Eurpoe and the Austro-Hungarian Empire..

I am interested in determining its weight and its actual silver weight (ASW).

Additionally, I would be interested in what its units of subdivision were (I think they were grosszy but I'm not sure).

In absence of knowledge any reliable references would be appreciated.

Thanks to all,
    rtatchyn

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. satootoko

satootoko Retired

Hi rtatchyn, and [​IMG] to the forum.

According to the Standard Catalog of World Coins the "zloty" was a 19th Century denomination exclusive to the independent city of Krakow, Poland, from about 1815-1846, when it came under Austrian control.

20 Groszy equaled 1 Zloty. 5 and 10 Groszy and 1 Zloty coins were issued in 1835. The Zloty (C#13) was 3.1g of an unspecified fineness of silver, so there is no way to estimate its actual silver weight except to say it could not have exceeded .998 oz. even if it was .999 fine.

Mintage is given as 20,000, and the catalog values are $15 VG, $30 F, $50 VF and $90 XF in the 3rd Ed. (2001).

The term "rynsky" does not appear anywhere in Krause as a coin denomination.

There was no such place as Czechoslovakia in the 19th Century, although its post WW II territory was within the Austro-Hungarian Empire, as was much, if not all, of modern-day Poland.

Draft saved Draft deleted