Zimbabwe notes through the roof?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by wcoins, Feb 8, 2018.

1. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

According to the Wall Street journal the 100 trillion note was never put into circulation. All of them were supposed to be destroyed. They were never destroyed just hoarded by high level government officials who sold them off.
    The WSJ article also alerted the general public to the notes which dramatically
    caused the price of the notes to increase.
    I used to buy them for $7.00 each at the Baltimore Whitman show.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lettow

lettow Senior Member

A dealer I know sold over 2,000 from his Ebay store on the day the WSJ story hit.

4. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

I have a 100 trillion note that I paid 5 dollars for back in 2012. I’ve also been watching the price go up and wishing I would have bought a whole bundle of them.

Oldhoopster likes this.
  5. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Wow, I had no idea how much these are going for until I googled it after reading this thread. I bought 6 for $5/ea around the same time period. Sold 5 at the local coin club mtg for $7/ea. At the time, I was happy that I ended up getting mine for free and made $5 on top of it. Oh well, at least I made an honest profit and still have 1.

6. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

With such a large price increase, should we be worried about counterfeits? Especially considering that the notes don’t have much in the way of security features. It would be a lot easier and less risky for someone to counterfeit demonetized notes and sell on eBay versus risking federal prison for printing fake US currency.

7. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

8. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  9. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

The standard SQL data type:

money -922,337,203,685,477.5808 to 922,337,203,685,477.5807

has no problem with up to 9 of the bills...

Draft saved Draft deleted